• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove your roof rack and basket. (Big pics)

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
1. Begin to back in your garage at a careless pace.
2. Forget that you have recently put your spare back on top in the last week and no longer have the clearance to fit.
3. Listen to the screeches and crunches as your gutter mounts are ripped and mangled.
4. Pull forward, get out, and inspect the damage.
5. Don't get mad, get glad! After all, you're a dumbass!!!

RoofRackCarnage001.jpg

RoofRackCarnage002.jpg

RoofRackCarnage004.jpg

RoofRackCarnage005.jpg

RoofRackCarnage007.jpg

Apparently the stock mounts are tougher than I thought...

RoofRackCarnage008.jpg

Good thing my Dad is in the paint and body supply business.

RoofRackCarnage006.jpg

Makes me wonder how much more bent this would be if I hit a tree branch

Reminds me when I worked at the bike shop. People would come in after doing that with their bikes on the rack and we would hear, "I don't know, it just happened? Can I warranty it?"

LOL

Luckily I have an extra set of gutter mounts and another cross bar. I'm unsure about mounting them again though because I'm afraid the gutters have been weakened. Hopefully the basket bars can be bent back into place. I had actually planned on putting the extra cross bar back on as well as the basket extension last weekend. Good thing I didn't.

BTW, for those wondering how Yakima products hold up, hopefully this will give you an idea...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Wow, that makes me feel so good about myself! Thanks for cheering me up. :sunshine:

Dumbass !:doh:

just kiddin:spin1:

Eh? You too? Towed my buddy's POS cavalier home early this morning to his yard of low lying trees... and yup, same sounds of mangled metal as you described. Both stock roof racks are mangled and several dents on roof and hatch. :(

Tree: 1
Cherokee:0 :cry:

Now I gotta get the dents fixed and roof racks replaced... oh well, gives me an excuse to upgrade on the roof racks anyway! :)

:viking:

Last edited:
Blaine B. said:
Cavaliers are for suckas.

Naw... I am the sucker to tow his shit home. And look what I got for the trouble?

Remember this quote?

"No good deed ever goes unpunished" :twak:

:doh:

Bummer. That's actually the reason I took off my yakima rack, and my factory roof rack. The yakima kept getting caught up on trees out on the trails.

I drove under the canopy at a Quality Inn witha bike on the Thule up-right bike rack on top. Heard the srape and stopped. Only damage was to the aluminum soffit of the canopy. SSHHHHHHHHHH!

Almost did that at a friends. Went to pick him up and his mom wasn't home so I just pulled into the garage. Had about a 1/2" gap of clearance

Did it after picking up a all alloy bullbar which I had put on the roof. Just didn't clear my carport and had to send it to the panel shop to get the dents taken out of the roof. :(

Almost drove into the garage with dirt bikes in the back of my pickup once. ALMOST doing it made my heart race, that just sucks...

Back