• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To buy or not to buy, 01 XJ? (Australia)

samus

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys.
Im over here in oz scratching my head as to what 4X4 to buy next. I have always been a huge fan of the cherokee shape. I have been looking at an 01 Xj classic, 81000kms (50000miles) can anyone tell me any common faults with these vehicles? Alot of people give them a bad wrap (my bros a mechanic) is it the same over there? I know that parts will be a problem. i would like to put it on LPG. I have never even seen an XJ with a lift kit!!!! I look at your trucks with 3.5' lifts and 33's and they look unreal!!!!! My mate has a TJ with an 8inch lift and 40's. that is extreme over here. He has to trailer it around!!! Everyone goes for the nissan patrol, not sure what you call them in the states but they are easy to put on LPG and have a huge number of locally produced parts.

I know you'll all have a biased opinion. I think thats what im after.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam
(Australia)

Sam,
Great to hear from Way Down Under :) I have a 2001 and I love it. One of the issues with the 2000 and 2001 XJ's is that they have a Low Pinion Front Axel. I swapped mine out for a High Pinion. Other then that, the 2001 basically has all of the same issues as other years (at least that I have read). Common XJ problems: Automatic Window actuators, common wiring issues, CPS going out and a few other issues.

I am not a mechanic but there are just some of hte issues I have run into.

Take Care,
Mark

Funny how across the world others want what we use and here I at least would kill to have a late model Landcruiser of the Diesel variety or Patrol, What few are around are going for a small ransom. Anyhow one more thing to look at is the head casting numbers which are on the top of the casting, just rear of the oil fill cap just at the edje of the valve cover, The 0331 heads are known for cracking between #3 & 4 cylinders, otherwise there pretty bullet proof in the engine dept, as well as the trans if its a Aisin Warner built AW4 which I belive is still in later XJ`s.
Good luck in your hunt for the next rig either way.

Thanks bud. I am looking at patrols but a neat one will go for a fortune!
I am looking at 10-12AUD for a 01 XJ with low kms & and 20-25 for a similar patrol! I wont even go into what a nice landcruiser will set you back!
Most reasonably priced patrols come from the mines, this means red dirt which is horrible stuff, they also use acids to clean everything up there. both cause rust!

I think the XJ's look great. I know i'll get one.
Hope nothing goes wrong.................. i'll be getting some big "I TOLD YOU!!!!!!!!!" from the boys.

I cant believe noone has mentioned this already. Certain late model 4.0's with the 0331 casting head are extremely prone to head cracks. These are usually visible through the oil cap with a flashlight.

These engines are extremely easy to spot as they are only found on 4.0s with distributorless ignition. Some have over 100000 miles with no cracks, but not many last that long. 50-75k miles is usually right around the time when they crack.

At any rate, DO NOT BUY an 00 or 01 unless you are comfortable the prospect of and financial aspects associated with replacing the head with an 0630 or 0721 head somewhere down the line, or having it done professionally. This usually costs around 1000 to have done professionally, or 50 if you're a mechanically inclined junkyard monkey.

Joe

dyna said:
The 0331 heads are known for cracking between #3 & 4 cylinders, otherwise there pretty bullet proof in the engine dept, as well as the trans if its a Aisin Warner built AW4 which I belive is still in later XJ`s.
Good luck in your hunt for the next rig either way.

It has been covered if you read, BUT!! for such a low mileage XJ and the rareity of this happening should be nothing to detere you from buying it, there are thousands upon thousands of them that never go through this, some people just get stuck on the bad instead of taking it in stride with the good

BUY, hehe

Firstly, sorry, i missed it.

Secondly - I didn't say that the head definitely will crack, however, I think anyone considering buying one of these should accept it as a possibility.

Back