• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compass/Temp sensor!

It is mounted behind the front bumper on the front frame cross beam. Most the time the mount is broken and it is just hanging there by the wires.

Thanks I'm tryin to tell a guy where to find it on a donor jeep... got a pic i could use for example? Should my 93 XJ already have a temp sensor even tho it didnt have the OHC to begin with? is the wiring going to already be there?

Last edited:
The wiring will not be there. Be sure to get the plug and some of the harness to splice in 2 wires. I would also hope you have the harness that goes from the overhead console to the right kick panel. My 94 is lacking many options and the wiring at the kick panel is not there but if you look up the wiring diagram online you will find it on what needs power and what needs ground. Also be sure to pull the brackets that hold the overhead console to the roof. Pull one screw out between visors and slide unit back. Unplug it from the console the get your brackets, wire harness, and VISORS. Also the computer for the compass is contained in the overhead console. The one behind the bumper is for the outside temp.

Last edited:
I was in a junkyard in Bucks County, PA today (about 40 miles north of Philly) and got an overhead console out of a '91 Cherokee Limited for $25, as my '92 Laredo didn't come with an overhead console, but did come with the infrared remote keyless entry option (but the seller didn't have the remote) and dome light with dual map lights.

Anyway, I had to do as you said, and also had to lower the headliner in the junkyard Jeep to grab the overhead console wiring harness, and it was routed down the right A-pillar, then went by the glove box door, which I had to remove to fish the harness down to the kick panel. Also, this harness has the (pink) wiring for the lighted visor vanity mirrors as well as the compass/temp display and the four dome lights.

The harness, where it goes above the windshield and down the A-pillar, is attached with push-in clips. There's also a clip above the right rear door as well. You will have to remove the "fear of God" handles (Torx T-20 screws, pop the end caps on the handles to expose the screws) above the doors to lower the headliner for that part of the harness.

The harness is all one piece, but you may have to bend the sheet metal under the roof down slightly where the luggage rack attaches above the right front door in order to fish the wire going to the remote keyless entry module.

As far as the temp sensor wiring, it's as Jeepm@n described. However, the harness for the temp sensor disappears into a main harness under the fuse panel underhood, and I had to cut behind the connector that is just ahead of the "main" harness, and plan to splice wiring to the right kick panel.

I haven't looked behind the right kick panel of my quarter-million-mile XJ to find out what's "plug & play" yet.

While you're in there, you may want to change out all the light bulbs, too, since in order to change bulbs, you have to lower the console. In 1992, they took four 912 bulbs. The bulb sockets are held to the lamp assembly with clips that you just push forward into the lamp assembly until they disengage.

Since the new console is out of a tan-interior Cherokee, and my Cherokee has a gray interior and needs the headliner replaced, I'll send both to the headliner guy and have him recover them while I fish the wiring for the new console (he already knows about that!).

Bill

Jeepm@n said:
The wiring will not be there. Be sure to get the plug and some of the harness to splice in 2 wires. I would also hope you have the harness that goes from the overhead console to the right kick panel. My 94 is lacking many options and the wiring at the kick panel is not there but if you look up the wiring diagram online you will find it on what needs power and what needs ground. Also be sure to pull the brackets that hold the overhead console to the roof. Pull one screw out between visors and slide unit back. Unplug it from the console, then get your brackets, wire harness, and VISORS. Also the computer for the compass is contained in the overhead console. The one behind the bumper is for the outside temp.

I just disovered on my '92 Laredo, the underhood wiring for the outside temp sensor IS there (and so is the plug behind the kick panel).

What I had to do was to remove and pull aside the underhood fuse panel, since the plug was hiding underneath it, and it may be hiding inside the wire loom.

Also, in '92, you have to pull the washer bottle, and since my Cherokee has an empty A/C system, I pulled some of the A/C hoses, the battery and its tray for better access. Hopefully, that A/C system won't be empty for summer 2008!

Bill

Jeepm@n said:
The wiring will not be there. Be sure to get the plug and some of the harness to splice in 2 wires. I would also hope you have the harness that goes from the overhead console to the right kick panel. My 94 is lacking many options and the wiring at the kick panel is not there but if you look up the wiring diagram online you will find it on what needs power and what needs ground. Also be sure to pull the brackets that hold the overhead console to the roof. Pull one screw out between visors and slide unit back. Unplug it from the console the get your brackets, wire harness, and VISORS. Also the computer for the compass is contained in the overhead console. The one behind the bumper is for the outside temp.

Back