• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable upper ball joints?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
'92 XJ. 2" lift, 30s.
My front end has had the dw @ 55mph ever since I got it 60K ago, so it might be time to start replacing parts, LOL. Tie rod ends I understand, but what about ball joints? NAPA lists what they call "offset" upper ball joints in 1/2degree, 1d, 1-1/2d and 2d. I guess these would allow for caster adjustment, but how do I know what to get and how to adjust them.

There is a big difference between $24 for standard ball joints and $90 for those guys. Do I need to worry about it with only a 2" lift?

Anyone use adjustable upper ball joints?

i STILL use standard ball joints on my 6 inch lift and they seem to do ok... not saying that they wouldnt be an improvment... it all depends on how you install them as to whether it adds or subtracts caster angle... and it they are offset, camber can also be changed... not sure why would would want to but it could be...

stupid question.....did you have the alignment checked? after i put on my 2" and 31's, i had it aligned and the DW at 50 or so MPH was gone.

mk20rockeye said:
stupid question.....did you have the alignment checked? after i put on my 2" and 31's, i had it aligned and the DW at 50 or so MPH was gone.

Yes. A couple times. It has 203K miles on it. Everything is "tight". I think it's just getting old. Original tie rod ends, ball joints, control arms. Newer track bar, steering stabilizer, sway bar bushings. Replaced a bad hub. I have read all of the dw threads. Just starting to go through it all methodically. Considering the Currie HD setup, just so I can replace it all at once, but of course that doesn't include ball joints.

Back