• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowby/Valve Cover/RMS/

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so heres the deal. I have an oil leak just as im sure most of you have had or are having now. Now i have a definite blowby problem. I just fabbed up a DIY intake and my old filter had oil on the back of it. The Front grommet is spitting up a bit of oil and can see it on the bottom of the hood when opened and also on the valve cover it self. Granted its not alot but still there. I also have a oil leak that mocks a RMS. Now im getting that fixed next weekend so i figure this week i can tackle the blowby prob and valve cover gasket just for the hell of it to see if it is indeed my Valve cover gasket thats leaking and not my RMS. I also heard that a blowby problem can be the cause of a valve cover gasket. Now my question is....
valvecover.jpg

The "Fresh Air Inlet" is what has come loose and is spitting out the oil but do i have to buy other crap other than that one thing to fix my prob?
Also im problly just gonna go ahead on replace the Valve Cover gasket, since it cheap and hopefully easy.... So any tips to make the Valve cover gasket replacement a breeze and what all i need to do to get it right?

P.S This will be my first time messing with something to this degree. Im a suspension man myself.

Thanks in Advance

I had the same problem on my 89. Here's the deal all you have to do is pull the rear PCV/CCV tube off the valve cover while the engine is running. Stick your finger on the end of it. Rev the motor at the TB. The tube should pull enough vacuum to give you a slight hicky on your finger. If not, pull the tube off the intake too and spray the hell out of it with carb cleaner. Stick it back on and test it. When the tube is clear you will notice it! If you can't get it clean their only $15.00 at the dealer. The fresh air inlet however is about $65.00 because it's sold as a complete vacuum harness so don't booger it up.

Well my fresh air inlet is the one blowing out the oil. It has come loose and is bubbling up oil while the engine is running. But thanks for telling me about the little trick i can do, im gonna try that out. But i am def gonna have to buy that fresh air inlet. So do both the front and rear grommets just pop out?? or twist or what? and do the tubes connected to the intake just pop out too? just dont want to brake anything and THEN have to buy it when i dont have to

On my 89 they just pop out. The reason why the airbox side is bubbling oil is because the intake side isn't pulling any vacuum. Therefore the pressures that build in the engine are being released through the airbox side. The purpose of the two tubes is to scavenge the vapors in the crankcase and suck them into the intake. So as the intake tube is sucking vapors out and into the intake the front tube is feeding in fresh air from the airbox. Just do what I said and be gentle and you should be good.

Also, I've read a couple of threads so far about NAPA having these parts really cheap like $15 or $16 but they're all for 97's & newer. Those twist off like the oil fill cap. I've looked in the JY and can't seem to find the style I have so I'm gonna check that out. I let you know what I find. Judging by your username I take it you own a 88 so you will have the same problem.

Well i bought the fresh air inlet and the all the air tubes and connectors from Napa today and they are or my 88. I got the guy up there to check it and he said it will work. so monday im having at it. I got the Fresh air inlet and required tubes and the air filter side connectors with hose and a new Valve cover gasket for 47 bucks! so we will see what happens

Well im gonna spray down the bolts to the Valve cover tomorrow with Some PB blaster and hope they come off easy. But i heard the back bolts ont he valve cover can be tricky to get to and heard someone said use a flex driver? well im sure that a socket attachment with a flexible end but all i have is your standard socket set with a like 8 inch extension....will that do the job? and also what is the unwritten rule with using rtv on the new valve cover gasket? where and how much should i put on? and i dont own a torque wrench and dont have the money to go out and get one atm. so how much should i torque the bolts down but not to crush the new gasket?

Those gromets just "pop" out (with a little help from a screw driver of course :) ), but be careful taking them out....the plastic on them does like to snap, and it's a dealer only item, and kindy pricey at that if memory serves. (been there, done that, lucky for me it wasn't on my Jeep, rather on a Dakota).

As for the valve cover gasket....very simple process. Hope you got a good cork one that will last a while. I dont recall the back bolts being that hard to work with when I replaced mine. I know you said you don't have money for a torque wrench, but do you have a friend/neighbor who's got one and would be willing to lend it to you? It's one of those things where you dont want it too loose, but you dont wan't it too tight as to crush the gasket either (like you said). Somebody will probably chime in with the torque settings shortly, but if not, i'll try to remember to look them up in my FSM and post it for you tomorrow.

Did you stick your hand behind the engine to see if there was any fairly fresh oil back there? If there was/is, pretty good sign the VC gasket was leaking.

I'll be workin on my Jeep the next couple of days and headed back to Charlotte monday night (provided my Jeep isn't broke). If you need a hand, I PM'd you my number the other day, gimmie a call.

Back