• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone have the 97+ dash removal writeup? (replacing evaporator)

theksmith

NAXJA Member #1072
I need to replace the evaporator on my 2001 XJ and the FSM and Haynes manuals kinda suck on what exactly has to be done to get the right parts of the dash out and into the HVAC housing.

I've seen several people post a link to a writeup, but that link's dead (http://www.electronicimpulse.net/~vissagoth/jeep/tech/leak.htm).

I PM's user "Talyn" for his PDF version, but not sure if he's still active on the forum. If anyone else has this writeup or pics, please post or email to [email protected] and I will gladly host it for others too!

I can't get you a link but I just did this last week on my bro's 01 XJ and it wasn't as hard as everyone says it is. Here's step by step...
Step 0. Disconnect - battery cable
1. Remove kneeguard under steering wheel
2. Lower steering column
3. Remove the dash bezel and cluster surround
4. Pop up defroster cowl panel
5. Remove bolts/nuts along windshield (10mm)
6. Remove console
7. Remove 2 bolts that secure the dash under where console was (13mm)
8. Remove both kick panels
9. Loosen or remove both dash bolts behind the kick panels (15mm IIRC)
10. Remove the nuts that hold the heater box to the firewall (there are 5) (11mm)
11. Disengage the QD connect fittings on the A/C lines using the disconnect tool
12. Remove heater hoses from the core
13. Pull right side of dash as far as it will go with leaving the column installed, the left side will be the limiting factor
14. Remove the heater box
15. Remove all the bolts around the perimeter and inside top of the heater box (8mm IIRC)
16. Put a slit through the gaskets around the heater core/evaporator tubes and the blower motor gasket
17. Remove blower motor
18. Split the case and remove old evaporator
19. Here's the typical Haynes comment..."installation is reverse of removal".
If I forgot anything or you have any questions let me know.
-Collin

Thanks for the info, how long did it take you total?

Still hoping to find that writeup with pics... but your instructions are at least way more straight-forward than the FSM. Thanks again!

How timely! '00 sport. AC started acting up(low -134)over the course of a couple months. Added freon. 'Charge leaked out overnight. I talked to a friend( DC service tec. ) and he says 90% of the leaks he gets on XJs are the evap coil. I'll probably have to do this in the next few days(no AC really isn't an option here!)

Thanks for the write-up.

tbburg said:
(no AC really isn't an option here!)

Yeah, our record-breaking number of days over 110 degrees here in the valley sucks huh?

Do make sure you add dye and check the easy spots for leaks first (if you haven't already). I did the dye thing myself once, then had a shop do it, and another shop with an electronic leak detector check it before I wanted to start tearing into the dash. However, now doing searches, it seems that the evap is a very common problem, perhaps the crappy welds just can't take all the bouncing around off-road?

kristoffers said:
Yeah, our record-breaking number of days over 110 degrees here in the valley sucks huh?

Do make sure you add dye and check the easy spots for leaks first (if you haven't already). I did the dye thing myself once, then had a shop do it, and another shop with an electronic leak detector check it before I wanted to start tearing into the dash. However, now doing searches, it seems that the evap is a very common problem, perhaps the crappy welds just can't take all the bouncing around off-road?
Man, I don't know. My bro's 01 has never once been offroad. It sees highway 99% of the time. I think it's just crappy design overall. As for total time I believe it took us about 5 hours start to finish. Definitely not the 9 or whatever the dealerships try to get out of people. I'd say if you've got a leak big enough to make it leak out overnight, you might as well replace the evaporator. If you replace something else, you're just going to be disappointed and frustrated when the evaporator cracks a month later if that's not already the problem. Good luck with this guys, as I said if you have any questions, shoot them my way.
-Collin

Last edited:
What brand is everyone replacing the OEM evaporator with? Obviously not stock-is there a more reliable evaporator to use that won't fail in a few months (maybe from a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee).

Back