• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rattling noise???

Timster

NAXJA Forum User
there is this noise that is bothering me and I cant figure out what it is. I just bought an 01 cherokee with only 45,000 miles on it and when i'm stopped with it in drive (holding the brake) it makes a rattling noise. almost as if the driveline is vibrating against something. then i shift to neutral and it goes away. anyone else have this same problem??? maybe a heat shield or worse an engine mount. idk any help would be greatly appreciated

I'll have to check it out in the daylight. it's not really loud though. I honestly think it makes more noise when im in 4wd than when im not. And it makes the noise every time i bump the throttle. like when I put it in drive and press the throttle it makes the noise for like a second then goes away once the rpm's start to go up. Hard to describe but I think the exhaust is the most logical thing, now that I think about it. just wasn't sure if it was a common problem or not. thanks

Try grabbing your transfer case shift lever and pushing forward when its rattling and see if it stops. And no, the rattle does not sound like it's coming from the shift console.

Its DEFINITELY the tcase shift linkage bushings worn out. Jeep offers a kit to replace the bushings for 40 bucks :scared:, And Novak make a cool kit to convert it to linkageless shift. I actually stopped mine for almost a year by ziptieing attic insulation around the linkage. (i'm a cheap bastard).

It's extremely common on the 97-01 xjs...

HTH, Joe

Back