• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is he right? Tranny cooler

rav

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a Uhaul heavy duty tranny cooler and the guy says to route it from AW4 to radiator, radiator to Tranny Cooler, Tranny Cooler to AW4. Is he right? I thought it should be AW4 to cooler to radiator and then to AW4. I am confused now. Since i am in NY, i do not want to bypass the radiator.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi

Ive always done my coolers your way,but I suppose use would dictate the install. You can run a trans to cool IMO, thats why I wouldent run the cooler last before it hits the trans. Winter temps will not allow the trans to reach good operating temps. Also the brunt of the heat is in the line out of the trans which putting the cooler first will address before it transfers heat to the cooling system.

dyna said:
Winter temps will not allow the trans to reach good operating temps.

that's why you'd want it "his" way. to the radiator, in order to make sure it gets to at least a "minimum" temp, and then to the cooler to make sure it gets cooled down sufficiently, regardless of load, before returning to the trans. if it continually runs through the radiator first, there's little chance the auxilary cooler is going to "overcool" the fluid.

If it runs out the trans to the rad and say comes out at 190 degrees then goes into the aux cooler and say its 20 outside and your on the highway wouldent this cool the fluid a bunch more beyond the 'good operation temp"?

If the object is to get rid of heat.

Tranny -> Cooler -> Radiator -> Tranny

This is way you are not introducing all the tranny heat into the radiator.

as per the factory regarding the "heavy duty cooling":
"The auxiliary oil coolers on all models operate in conjunction with the internal radiator mounted main oil cooler. The transmission oil is routed through the main cooler first, then the auxiliary cooler, before returning to the transmission."

also, i went outside and looked at my fsj(came with hd cooling-factory aux. cooler), it's routed the same way. trans>radiator>aux cooler>trans.

Well then, guess we setteled that. Mine has a factory tow package, I just replaced the butchered hose/line mess and I think its routed wrong. Anybody for pre and post radiator cooler? he,he. My old dodge diesel pu had the second trans cooler option with one under the bed with a fan on it, pretty nice setup.

trans to rad to bypass valve. temp will determine if it goes through the aux cooler."Tru-Cool transmission cooler thermal bypass"

You can find them *** and ebay.

If its any help, I got my 96 in April 2000, with 70K, immediately installed cooler with cooler first, then radiator, then back to tranny, so radiator could help regulate temps. I now have 230K, tranny has never once hiccupped and shifts perfectly, and I even tow big loads once or twice a year with no problems

I guess this all depends on where you live. I live in FL and also plan on towing a small camper, so I'm going trans > radiator > cooler > trans. I want the fluid as cool as possible (also why I'm running a 2 core radiator) and I don't have to worry about freezing temps and the fluid not getting "warm enough".

I guess if you lived in Alaska, Michigan, etc, then you'd want the cooler before the radiator for winter temps, but I don't honestly know how efficient a cooler is. Could it actually cool too much when located after the radiator in the winter to effect the trans.?

Thanks a lot for all the replies, i guess i will go by how the FSM describes that is his way.

ravi

bcmaxx said:
What is the ideal location for the trans cooler??

I mounted mine ( a low profile stacked plate B + M cooler ) dead center at the bottom of the grille on fabricated brackets 3/4" in front of the radiator.

That way the fittings and lines point down through the gap between the body and the A/C condenser and connect up to the radiator-cooler return line to the AW-4. They are invisible as viewed from the front (since they terminate out of sight).

The cooler is 1.5" thick, but only about 5" high so doesn't obstruct flow ro the A/C or radiator.

No holes needed, and those plastic thingies are not used. I don't like the implication of using them (chafing of the cooling tubes, etc.).

It MIGHT have been better to mout the cooler on the passenger side so the mechanical fan would have been drawing air through it full time, however?

Bob

Bob

When the transmission cooler and upgraded cooling system were factory-installed as an option, what type did they use? Part numbers?

If those arent available, what are some of the more popular aftermarket systems?

David

Back