• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High-flow water pump: A preferred cooling-system mod, or?

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Two- or three-row radiators, upgrade thermostats, etc....seem to be no-question desirable cooling-system upgrades, but....I have read the posts re adding a flow restrictor to effect better cooling through longer retention in the radiator... Thus, IS a high-flow pump such as Hesco a definite, unequivocal plus??

i dont think so, i am running a new oe water pump on a stroker and it cools just fine. I run a 195 thermostat(the nice one made out of stainless) and a 3 row rad. Motor stays pinned on 195 most of the time unless i am towing something on a 100+ degree day.

I dont believe that you get any gain out of running your motor at 180 or lower. It just burns more fuel

I'm not too sure if I'd get a Hesco or just a good stock replacement, when the stock pump on Dad's '90 went belly up and needed replacement he just got a new one and suddenly all of the overheating problems he had went away. This was after replacing everything but the pump and heater core too?!

Back