• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift (another post)

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have figured out what lift i am getting. hopefully the 3.5 RE cheaper one. i don't remember the name. any ways, i am going to be getting it done by a shop being i do not have the tools or the knowledge. i would like to do it with a buddy of mine but he moved to MT. i will be getting it done at Burnsville Off-Road. i was wondering if you guy's knew what the finale cost would be. (estimate) i do not know what they would charge for labor or such but if you could post your price for your lift's that you had done at the shop that would help ALOT!!

Thaks A Lot!!

Gnat5680 said:
ok so i have figured out what lift i am getting. hopefully the 3.5 RE cheaper one. i don't remember the name. any ways, i am going to be getting it done by a shop being i do not have the tools or the knowledge. i would like to do it with a buddy of mine but he moved to MT. i will be getting it done at Burnsville Off-Road. i was wondering if you guy's knew what the finale cost would be. (estimate) i do not know what they would charge for labor or such but if you could post your price for your lift's that you had done at the shop that would help ALOT!!

Thaks A Lot!!

they are going to charge you too much!!! hook up with someone in your chapter. i'm sure a fellow Xj'er would be happy to help. my friend had a lift installed on his TJ and 4wpts charged him $500, but then they ran into "other" mishaps and the bill was around $650.

21o8oeg.jpg

Isn't it about time you paid for all the questions you ask?
https://secure.naxja.org/html/naxjamemberapp.htm

oh belive me i want to sign up i have the money and everything BUT i am only 17. i asked and even made a thread about it to lower it down to 16 or 17 to be able to sign up. but it was rejected. i will be signing up the minute i turn 18.

i will post in my chapter and see if i can find some one once i get the lift. i just have to save up a little more money.

they are going to charge you too much!!! hook up with someone in your chapter. i'm sure a fellow Xj'er would be happy to help. my friend had a lift installed on his TJ and 4wpts charged him $500, but then they ran into "other" mishaps and the bill was around $650.

"Too much", as in they're over charging? C'mon, to do a good job and take care of all the details and deal with all the crap that is frozen/broken/worn out does take time. Shop space isn't free, and I'm sure it doesn't say "Non-Profit Organization" over the door.

"Other mishaps", as in, you think they were just padding the bill? Yeah, there's never any other worn out/broken/un-maintained stuff that needs to be addressed on rigs getting lift kits:bs:

Gnat5680 said:
i will be getting it done at Burnsville Off-Road. i was wondering if you guy's knew what the finale cost would be. (estimate) i do not know what they would charge for labor or such but if you could post your price for your lift's that you had done at the shop that would help ALOT!!
Call the shop and ask them. If they're an off-road shop, then they've done lifts before and should be able to give you an accurate estimate.

Seriously, though, if I were you I'd buy tools instead of paying labor, and throw a lift party. You can learn a ton about your Jeep by lifting it with some buddies. And if your buddies have installed lifts before, you should be able to do the whole thing in a day, maybe two.

Mambeu said:
Call the shop and ask them. If they're an off-road shop, then they've done lifts before and should be able to give you an accurate estimate.

Seriously, though, if I were you I'd buy tools instead of paying labor, and throw a lift party. You can learn a ton about your Jeep by lifting it with some buddies. And if your buddies have installed lifts before, you should be able to do the whole thing in a day, maybe two.

Good advice;)

A friend had the offroad shop he bought the lift from install and they charged 200. BUT, they didnt replace the u-bolts which were on by about 1 thread, didnt correct pinion angle at all, nothing with break lines and it was AAL with drop brackets, so a little less involved. Id have to agree the best approach would be to find someone in your chapter willing to help and try and do most of it yourself, itll be a great learning experience and youll save lots of cash.

I've never paid for an install myself...but I have been a network admin at a couple shops. The most I've seen charged is $350 for an install...given all the parts were provided.

And yes, I think 4wpw is padding the bill. At $60/hr labor rate, it doesn't take 8.5 hours to install a lift. At home in your own garage, with hand tools, a floor jack, and jack stands maybe...with a hydraulic lift, air tools, and tall jack stands...job takes about 4 hours...and that inludes the SYE.

Gnat5680 said:
ok so if i get the 3.5 inch do i have to get a sye? or do i just wait and see if there are vibrations?

I've got the same basic question. I'm going to do a 3" lift with 31" tires on a 97 XJ. I realize that there aren't any certainties in life..but what are the odds of my getting by with a T-case drop for a 3" lift (no SYE)?

The only reason i've waited to do this as long as i have is the additional costs associated with lifting (ex. SYE, R&P gears). The wheels are on the way, i'm getting the tires when they arrive (BFG A/T). I'm going to re-gear to 4.10 ASAP. Thanks.

John

Every XJ is different. The best advice I've heard is to leave space in your budget for an SYE, and then buy one if you feel you need to. If you're going to buy one in the future, you may want to just spring for it while you have the Jeep apart.

Mambeu said:
Every XJ is different. The best advice I've heard is to leave space in your budget for an SYE, and then buy one if you feel you need to. If you're going to buy one in the future, you may want to just spring for it while you have the Jeep apart.

I'm really hoping to not need it. Like you said..if i need to then there isn't much of a way around it. I'm sure this little venture is going to wind up costing more than i want to spend (i've spent many hours researching). It's a kick in the nuts to think that i'm about to spend up to $2k on parts ($180 wheels, $530 tires, $650+ suspension) for a Jeep that's worth under $3k. I need some sort of vehicle modification support group :D.

Edit: I keep coming back to the 3" OME kit...i think that's what i'll end up going with.

ok the next question: how much is a SYE kit? i am only planning on spending $700 tops. i have not called them but i will tommarow. i wil be taking care of some old tires and then i might just go over there and ask in person.

my plan is to get that 3.5" and i already have 30" tires on there. so then after i get the money i will get the black steel wheels with the circle pattern. at this moment i am to lazy to go look up names. anyway i will let you know what they quoted me and ask you guys if that is reason able.

and again in case you forgot. how much does a SYE kit cost?

SanDiegoXJ said:
I've never paid for an install myself...but I have been a network admin at a couple shops. The most I've seen charged is $350 for an install...given all the parts were provided.

And yes, I think 4wpw is padding the bill. At $60/hr labor rate, it doesn't take 8.5 hours to install a lift. At home in your own garage, with hand tools, a floor jack, and jack stands maybe...with a hydraulic lift, air tools, and tall jack stands...job takes about 4 hours...and that inludes the SYE.

That is the biggest load of horsecrap I have ever heard someone spew from their mouth. 4 hours? Maybe on your planet. Whatever...I love people who just say "it only takes this long...it's easy". Yeah, ok:sure:

bobnoxious said:
That is the biggest load of horsecrap I have ever heard someone spew from their mouth. 4 hours? Maybe on your planet. Whatever...I love people who just say "it only takes this long...it's easy". Yeah, ok:sure:

so my guess is that you have never used a lift before. the cut time in half. i am not to sure about using it for a lift but when i went to put in my poor man diconects. the first one took my 30 minutes and the second till isn't out. i used the lift for the first and keped it on the ground for the second. i think it may be possible if you have done it over and over. so you know what to expect.

Ok i called the shop and for the RE 3.5 super ride it will be

390 for the kit
180 for the shocks
and 400 for the install.

for the RE 3.5 super flex it will be:

500 for the kit
180 for shocks
400 for the install.

does this seem like a fair price???

Gnat5680 said:
Ok i called the shop and for the RE 3.5 super ride it will be

390 for the kit