• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.55's or 3.07's with stock tire 5spd xj

autocrossxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 xj that is currently an aw4 w/ 3.55 gearing. Although the aw4 has been very tough and reliable I HATE driving automatic vehicles. I have finally aquired an ax15 donor vehicle so I'm going to start the swap next week.

the donor xj does have the 3.07 gears, so it won't cost me anything to switch the axles, but it seems like a 3.07 gear would suck for towing and performance compared to 3.55's, I did the calculations and with the 3.55's and ax15 the xj will be at about 2500rpm @ 75 which is acceptable for me

I am interested in performace gain along with attempting to maintain fuel economy. my 94 has the stock tires and will never have anything larger in the foreseeable future. towing ability is also important. Does anyone have a xj w/ the 3.55's ax15 and stock tires? Let me know what you guys think, 3.55's or 3.07's?

i have it with 31in tires with 3.55s and it performs about what it did stock, so I would say it would be a worthwhile improvement, you would probably do best with 235/75s with that set up

IMO you`d be sorry to put the 3.07`s in. If I had my choice anything over 2000 lbs towing Id go 4.10 gears, specially with a AX15. I prefer better usability than economy.

Back