• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where did yall buy your SYE/CV rear driveshaft?

tribaltalon

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get a SYE/CV driveshaft for my 97 XJ np231. I looked at rusty's offroad but shipping is a B*tch there. ebay? any other stores a little more reasonable on the shipping? i need this stuff bad, and i'm going to order either today or tmrw. let me know!

I got the PORC. Nice kit. Easy instal. Went to the wrecking yard and got a front driveshaft from a '95 Grand Cherokee. Bolted right in.
Dave

I went with the RE SYE on my 242 tcase. opened it up, removed the shaft - had a shop cut and drill the shaft then I tapped the threads in.
I got a 96? Grand Cherokee front shaft (slightly longer than an 242/AW4 XJ front shaft) and am using that in the back. I also have an 8.8 rear axle and got an adapter flange from an early 80's merc cougar XR7 to adapt the GC driveshaft to my SYE. IIRC, the GC shaft mates right up to the 8.8.

I still have that XR7 driveshaft in my shop - just can't bring myself to throw it away, but have no idea what to do with it.

IGOCOMMANDO said:
I got the PORC. Nice kit. Easy instal. Went to the wrecking yard and got a front driveshaft from a '95 Grand Cherokee. Bolted right in.
Dave
how much did your shaft cost i went to a yard and they wanted $100 for one

I just paid $40 at the local junkyard for a front DS from an XJ. All driveshafts were $40.

iluv83vettes said:
how much did your shaft cost i went to a yard and they wanted $100 for one

you shouldnt be paying more than 20-40 dollars if you pull it yourself.

my GC driveshaft cost $100 Can because I got it at a non-DIY wrecker. the pick n pulls here in BC generally charge about $25 for any driveshaft. unfortunately there aren't many pnp's - only 2 that I know of in the province

I ordered my SYE from offroadtoystore.com and pulled my driveshaft from a wrecked xj at the yard for $10 bucks.

Fullsizexj said:
Might want to read this before you buy from Porc
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606915
seems he likes to login under another name to defend his mistakes and to try and make his customers look bad and to promote himself by fakeing to be a happy customer

nice I had good luck with them though, I even told them I was a NAXJA member and they gave me the sye for 10 dollars less.

I went with the PORC setup ($175 shipped) and the front shaft out of an XJ w/auto ($14 at PnP on 1/2 price day).

I would just bite the bullet and get a new rear seal and install it yourself before assembling everthing mine leaked after one run, there are also quite a few others that have had theirs leak too.

Also the PROC thread on Pirate is pretty accurate, they won't back up their products. Luckily the main components of the SYE are pretty solid and the only issue has been the rear seal. Get NAPA P/N 3946 for the seal.

Mines a '92 4.0/5 speed. I swapped in a 8.25 and have 6 1/2" lift. xj auto driveshaft was too short. Grand fit perfect. $50

went ahead and ordered from PORC. just ordered the SYE and i'll go ahead and get the NAPA seal, and hopefully i'll be good to go. I'll go Junkyarding tomorrow and see if i can find a Grand cherokee front driveshaft. Does it matter what years?

I decided to do the short shaft conversion on the 231, and a woody for the drive shaft. To keep that shaft as long as possible.

Back