• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did i do wrong

slingblade

NAXJA Forum User
hay gents first off this is an 88 4.0. had an oil leak bout a quart every 100 miles give or take engine was to gunked up to tell where it was coming from. so with not knowing and the fact its going to sit for 3 years i decided to do valve cover rear main and since i had the oil filter adaptor off to do the motor mounts anyway i did the orings on it. Know the problem after i did all that work did a test drive of 3 miles lost just over a quart of oil coming from the oil filter adaptor no big deal found the bolt was not tightened all the was went to drive it 250 mile to my parents to park it and started smoking really bad coming from the valve cover found 2 bolts not all the way tightened retorqued them and still smoking and lost 1.2 quarts in 10 miles. oil appears to be coming from the valve cover but am not sure. torqued all valve cover bolts to 5 ft/lbs i know 55 in/lbs but every conversion i found 5ft/lbs was very very close. torques rear mail bolts to 80 ft/lbs and the oil pan to spec i dont remember what it was i rtved the living heck out of valve and oil pan gasket . anyway after all of that anybody got any ideas where i went wrong i will not be able to fix it for 3 yrs but i need to know because its eating me up inside. thanx in advance and for all the help in the past.

You're right, it does specify 55 in/lbs. For an 88 anyway. Which is about 4.58 ft/lbs.

The factory service manual for a 93 specifies 80 in/lbs for the valve cover bolts, though.

Maybe you can try snugging them up a tad more? Torque specifications can be incorrect for old/rusty bolts and nuts which do not thread on easily. Try oiling them a bit first for a more accurate torque reading. Or just get them snug by hand. Torque readings are only really good and accurate for brand new hardware. When a bolt doesn't thread in like when it was new, it takes more torque to achieve the same tightness.

Last edited:
You could have warped the Valve cover by having the 2 bolts not tight if it got up to temperature? I would get another gasket and start all over. And why is it going to sit for 3 years? After it sits you'll have to change the oil and most of the gaskets again anyways (probably)

Back