• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converter loc-up switch?

XJ#1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I been reading on here alot and have gotten a LOT of good info! So for my first post I have a ? I would like to put a toggle switch on the dash to disable the loc -up converter. From what Ive read there is a seprate switch on the brake pedal, not so on my 96' instead 5 or 6 wires on the brake lite switch. Does anyone know which wire feeds the converter? I thought if I put a switch in that wire I could use it when I need it and still have normal operation otherwise. Any thoughts or past exp. Thanks

98XJeep said:
why would you want to do that?
Because doesn't unlock in O.D. like it should. It will lug the RPM's way down on a grade or corner, If I tap the brake and unlock it pulls like it should back up to speed then locks back up. I ve done this before on other truck's and it works great. Just need to find the right wire!!!!!!! And of coarse I can't find what I need in my worthless Chilton's! I know I m not the only one on here thats done this?

I think it works backwards of what you think.

In my reeding, I've found that it's supposed to lock up in OD.

sounds to me like you have a failing t/c because I've never been in a jeep (other than a 2.8 or 2.5 powered) that lost power and gained it by "tappingg" the brakes

I believe it's Light Blue with a Yellow trace. At least this is the color that is going into the TCU that is under the dash on the passenger side.

It isn't supposed to unlock in overdrive unless you downshift or kickdown. I understand what you're saying though... ever considered one of the manual shifting kits with a t/c unlock/lock button talked about on this forum? They are more expensive, but that would give you much better control over your driving if that is what you're looking for.

XJ#1 said:
Because doesn't unlock in O.D. like it should. It will lug the RPM's way down on a grade or corner, If I tap the brake and unlock it pulls like it should back up to speed then locks back up. I ve done this before on other truck's and it works great. Just need to find the right wire!!!!!!! And of coarse I can't find what I need in my worthless Chilton's! I know I m not the only one on here thats done this?

Same here. When I hit the brakes on my 87 Waggy it disco's the converter. Go to gojeeps.com . He has a good write up on how to do this.

I wired mine to lock up when I flip the switch, or when it commands it on. you can wire a switch so it will work normally, lock when you want it to, or never lock. it wouldn't be to hard to wire up.

codyj86 said:
I wired mine to lock up when I flip the switch, or when it commands it on. you can wire a switch so it will work normally, lock when you want it to, or never lock. it wouldn't be to hard to wire up.
Thats what I want!!!! To be able to UNLOCK it when I want it and work normally otherwise. So does it get 12v through the brake switch? if so I'll put the toggle switch before the brake switch, switch up normal operation, switch down no loc-up Whatcha think!!!!!!!!!! Thats why I was wanting to know which wire at the brake switch to interupt Thanks codyj

pauldo39 said:
It isn't supposed to unlock in overdrive unless you downshift or kickdown. I understand what you're saying though... ever considered one of the manual shifting kits with a t/c unlock/lock button talked about on this forum? They are more expensive, but that would give you much better control over your driving if that is what you're looking for.

No it is suppose to unlock when you let up on the gas or when the RPMs get low. to find the wire there are 2 plugs on the fire wall on the pasenger side of the engine it is in one of those plugs. just put 12v to each plug and listen for clicks from the trans, do this while its not running. you should get 3 wires that click. and one is the TClock (solinoid 3). the other 2 are Sol 1 and Sol 2. you can take this wire to a switch so that when it is in the off position the TC lock cant come on.

imfrankyj said:
No it is suppose to unlock when you let up on the gas or when the RPMs get low.

Yeah if you let off the gas while in 4th with the t/c locked it might unlock but the second you push the gas it locks again within a half second or so unless you push it hard enough to downshift. And in the 4 XJs I've driven, if you are locked in 4th and start going up a hill, the tranny will stay locked and in 4th all the way down below 35 mph, well under 1200 rpms until you push the gas hard enough to shift down to third. In practicality, what I said is right

Thanks guy's! I knew you would have the info I was lookin for!! Might get this done this weekend ??? yahoooo I hate luggin around like that, well I m off to work (frown) Thanks again

XJ#1 said:
Thats what I want!!!! To be able to UNLOCK it when I want it and work normally otherwise. So does it get 12v through the brake switch? if so I'll put the toggle switch before the brake switch, switch up normal operation, switch down no loc-up Whatcha think!!!!!!!!!! Thats why I was wanting to know which wire at the brake switch to interupt Thanks codyj

The wire coming from the brake peddle is White with Pink trace, but putting a switch on this wire will only keep you from unlocking when you put on the brakes. It would stop the 12v from getting to the TCU when you brake. You need to put the switch on the wire going to solenoid #3 in the transmission. This is the wire colored White with Black trace coming out of the TCU. The TCU is under the dash on the passenger side. Just cut it and hook your switch up. Close switch normal operation, open switch NO lockup. Hope this helps.

But, wouldn't this cause it to throw a (CEL) code on later models?

you should just be able to wire and on off toggle switch in the middle of the dark blue/white tracer wire coming out of your tcu. its pin # 11.
heres a pic of what the connector should look like.
its possible you could throw a code because of this. gm's will. it will throw a p1811 trans component slipping code becuase it is trying to lock up the convertor and it's still sensing a slip condition between the engine speed and trans input speed. try it and let me know if it sets a code. there's no way getting around it though. it may not lite the cel. not sure.

To avoid the error code on later models you could hook the switch up to send 12v to the WT/PK wire going into the TCM, but this isn't necessary on the 96's.

deumbower said:
The wire coming from the brake peddle is White with Pink trace, but putting a switch on this wire will only keep you from unlocking when you put on the brakes. It would stop the 12v from getting to the TCU when you brake. You need to put the switch on the wire going to solenoid #3 in the transmission. This is the wire colored White with Black trace coming out of the TCU. The TCU is under the dash on the passenger side. Just cut it and hook your switch up. Close switch normal operation, open switch NO lockup. Hope this helps.
Ok now we are getting somewhere! I'll give this a test hopefully this weekend and will let you guys in on all the do's an don'ts !! And I'm also glad I'm not the only one that hate's (HAS) this problem Thanks guys

Back