• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problem

xstoyz

NAXJA Forum User
my 88 xj has become basically impossible to drive. When the steeringwheel is turned it is not a smooth motion, it goes easy-hard-easy-hard... it makes it very uncomfortable to drive especially on the highway. The XJ has almost 200k miles. This problem became noticable after i had death wobble a few times. I have since fixed the cause of the DW i believe.(bad track bar ball joint).

I was told to swap out the power steering pump, which I did today. Unfortunatly the problem is still there.

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know what to look at.

Thanks alot,

Ed

I am afraid it may be the steering box. I just want to check everything else before I spend the money on a new one. I have found one at a local pic-n-pull for $35. so I think im gonna try that.

The belt is nice and tight.

Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming if you have any more.

Belt can seem nice and tight an not be tight enough. Using a belt tension gauge it should be 180-200 .lbs w/new belt and 140-160 .lbs w/used belt

Back