• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air bag removal for 01 xj

Timster

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to get the air bag out of my steering wheel to put in cruise control from my dads wrangler. its an 01. I got it apart but don't know which end you unplug, do you unplug the air bag from the back of it or at the clockspring?? Im kindof timid dealing with the air bag and just wanted to make sure I unplug the right thing. Please help me with this, anyone that has experience. thanks in advance.
P.S. before you ask, I did unhook the battery and wait before i started taking the steering wheel apart.

please be careful:

REMOVAL

The following procedure is for replacement of a faulty or damaged driver airbag. If the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must also be replaced.

WARNING:
DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
WARNING: WHEN REMOVING A DEPLOYED AIRBAG, RUBBER GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, AND A LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT SHOULD BE WORN. THERE MAY BE DEPOSITS ON THE AIRBAG CUSHION AND OTHER INTERIOR SURFACES. IN LARGE DOSES, THESE DEPOSITS MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO THE SKIN AND EYES.
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If either of the airbags has not been deployed, wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
  2. From the underside of the steering wheel, remove the two screws that secure the driver airbag to the steering wheel armature.
  3. Pull the driver airbag away from the steering wheel far enough to access the two wire harness connectors at the back of the airbag.
  4. Disconnect the clockspring horn switch wire harness connector from the horn switch pigtail wire connector, which is located at the back of the driver airbag. CAUTION: Do not pull on the clockspring wire harness to disengage the connector from the driver airbag inflator connector receptacle.
  5. The clockspring driver airbag wire harness connector is a tight snap fit into the airbag inflator connector receptacle, which is located at the back of the driver airbag. Firmly grasp and pull or gently pry on the clockspring driver airbag wire harness connector to disengage it from the airbag inflator connector receptacle.
  6. Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel.
  7. If the driver airbag has been deployed, the clockspring must be replaced.

Back