• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Position Sensor testing

ABN146

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ 4.0 has trouble code 24 (Check TPS sensor and wiring).

So I checked the TPS.

B to C gave me .775 and 3.69 at WOT.

A to B gave me 4.37 and 1.49 at WOT.

I checked both sides because Ecomike recomended to do this in the "I'm at the end of my rope" thread.
check both sides of the TPS at WOT (engine off) to make sure it still has a full sweep from idle to WOT on both sides, especially the Tranny, TCU side as it can casue low power by causing early shifting, and keep the tranny in too high a gear, thus causing low power.

So... B to C is a good reading, but what about the A to B reading?

Time to replace my TPS?

Yes it is correct...... the available voltage is approx 5v...... the tps is a variable resistor..... You will have a voltage on one side, and the remainder of 5v minus the first voltage on the other....... add your two closed throttle and two wot voltages..... they equal each other.....

When a trouble code sets, it has to meet enable criteria for a certain amount of time to set the code...... if the problem is intermittent the code remains anyways...... The tps or wiring can be failing intermittently which means a bad component can test good..... electronics worst enemy is heat..... guess what's under your hood????? heat......

you can also have bad spots in the TPS in any location other than WOT and idle. You really want the check it with an analog gauge and watch the needle for any movement other that a smooth sweep during manipulation.

--Shorty

The computer says it's bad and it's a common part to go bad. I'm willing to bet it's bad. I think that 3.69 volts at WOT is a little low myself.

Back