• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failing fuel pump?

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and didnt really see what I need. I recently picked up a 87 4.0 auto. This is my 4th XJ, one 93 one 95 and one 85 with a 2.8. I think this is the only renix one then which Im not familiar with?
Couple questions. It cranks longer than the others to start, 5 seconds maybe then runs fine. The fuel pump is fairly noisy (buzzing)in comparison all the time it seems, but almost seems every once and a while its quiet. It seems low on power compared to the other reg 4.0., running 235 and have to floor it in 3rd to do 65 up a 4% grade? Mileage seems normal, tail pipe is clean metal it seems instead of some black deposits (to lean?) no codes or CEL, havent smogged it in a while. Are these symptoms of a dying fuel pump?
BTW the CAT and fuel fltr,plugs etc are fairly new. Just adjusted the TPS, was .05 @ closed and set to .083 as reccomended, but seems to max out @ 4.54 volts if I recall.
Thanks for any help or links.

My 91 XJ 4.0 takes about 3 secs to start up and the fuel pump hums like crazy.. The P.O. says it did this for the last 3 yrs he owned it and has done it the past 3 months I have owned it. Runs fine and gets 19-20 mpg.. Need to replace it before it leaves me stranded somewhere though.. just for the extra insurance.

I experienced the whining fuel pump in my original '88XJ Limited twice in its 354,000 miles and I presently have it on a sometimes basis in my present '88XJ Limited with 220,000 miles. On the original XJ, it got pretty loud and persistent before I replaced it. I was told (probably here on the forum) that it was likely the worst that would happen was that it would cut out and I might have to sit for 20 - 30 minutes and then could continue on - - - so, one likely would not become stranded and could limp it home. I've never heard the whining fuel pump in my wife's '91XJ (also 4.0L) with 262,000 miles. Don

Last edited:
Interested to read what the TSB for "noisy fuel pump" along with a slew of other little nagging things (ratteling rear door,TPS about 3 times,bad grounds, etc for my 87 at least is, but im to cheap to pay for an alldata subscription.

Back