• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jasper engines

jimgrms

NAXJA Forum User
Quite a few years ago i got a remanufactured eng from jasper's for a chevy truck, and was a very good motor so am wondering about there 4.0 motors any body got one , it seems like their prices are fair ??? Jim

I have always heard good things about their 4.0's, check on JU.

ravi

Talk to RichP....I believe he's got a Jasper now in his XJ, after his OEM 4.0 finally gave up at somewhere around 300K if I remember correctly.

How about Jasper's auto transmissions?

I've looked at Jasper's website and it seems like you can only get one if you get an authorized dealer to install it.

Also, on topic but slightly different, I would like to build up my own engine and have been looking for a new short block but can't seem to find one. Is my best bet to just get one from a junk yard and hope it doesn't have to be bored? I would get a remanufactured one but I want to put one of the HO heads on it, and haven't come across that option. Plus I want the experience of building my own engine.

Thanks

lazyxj said:
How about Jasper's auto transmissions?

I can't speak about their auto transmissions, but if you're looking for an AW4 every single person I've asekd says to get a low mileage one from a junkyard. Something about remanufactured ones not working well.

JoshRountree said:
I can't speak about their auto transmissions, but if you're looking for an AW4 every single person I've asekd says to get a low mileage one from a junkyard. Something about remanufactured ones not working well.

don't know about the reman. aw4, but a stock aw4 is simply amazing. We bought our '88 XJ pioneer brand new. We used it for years to pull our 20ft. boat to the gulf and back before the jeep turned into a trail mostly rig. I've since ran it dry of fluid 4 or 5 times putting holes in trans cooler, ripping off trans cooler lines, etc. I just put more trans fluid in it and it keeps chugging along putting up with my abuse. The worst was a couple months back. The alternator seized up which caused the belt to break. The fan grabbed the belt and ripped the trans line off. It started overheating (water pump wasn't turning, fan clutch wasn't going, voltage started dropping sharply, started smelling smothing burning, and trans started slipping. As all this was going on, I had no idea what was happening, just expecting the worse. I tried to limp it home but it eventually quit moving a couple blocks from the house. A new alt., a new serpentine belt, hooking up the trans fluid hose, and more trans fluid was all I needed. 150k of HARD miles running it dry multiple times and it still doesn't slip.

The railroads Dad worked for had bought Jasper Reman Cat diesels and Domestic Truck transmissions, both were garbage as far as he was concerned. The Cat motors were rebuilt using parts from a mixture of dead or failing motors, some of which were N/A, some Turbo, and with different injection systems. Biggest problem was that they'd mix parts from all of these motors and most of the time the ReMan was no better and many times worse than the motors they replaced. Later at the last road he worked for, they decided to have Jasper transmissions installed in their trucks and save a little cash over the local trans shop that had been doing the rebuilds for them for each trans that failed. What Dad noticed there was that while the Jasper trans' were cheaper and were replaced for free when they failed under warrenty, they had a shorter lifespan than the shop's rebuild of the OE transmissions so the trucks really were out of service enough for as much if not a longer period of time as they were when getting a rebuild instead of the ReMans.

my experiences with Jasper engines is limited to small block Chevrolets, but I'm sure the craftsmanship would carry throughout their opperation. I purchased two SBC engines from a local salvage yard for an entry-level street stock dirt track car and found both of them to be Jasper reman engines. In the two years of building and setting up the chassis to run in the middle of the pack, the only parts of the car that never caused a DNF were inside the engine (singular as I never needed the second one). The rules (if you chose to follw 'em) did not allow for any internal engine mods (so I'll never admit to any) but I can vouch for the quality of the Jasper top end as it was set up with all new springs, shims, collars, and locks and was fully capable of withstanding 6500-7000 rpm straight away pulls (6.23:1 gears). It also held up to the .6" lift cam that I "didn't" stick in there to help fill the "un" massaged combustion chambers.

long story short, the Jasper remans impressed my enough that even though I work in the automotive aftermarket and can get other reman engines with a significant discount, a Jasper will prolly replace anything I need and don't have time to build!

--Shorty

Another vote for Jasper 4.0L.. I've got about 40k on mine. Not a single issue yet :).

Back