• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions On Removing The Fender Flares

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I haxe seen some pictures of cherokees with no flares and trimmed fenders. I have my front trimmed and the flare moved up to the body line I trimmed the rear at the bottom in the front and back. I did not want to remove the flares becouse the bolts are all rusted and will all snap so if they come off it will be for good. Everyone I have asked said It would look like shit and I am not sure myself. I have a 97 Red Cherokee with 3in the front and 4in in the rear 31x10.5 tires (if i do this maybe 32's) . I figured I would value the opinions of people with common interests a little more

I cut the front's up to the top of the flare. Basically draw a line around the outside of the flare...remove the flare and cut.......The rear was cut and rolled in

one other thing, if you trim it this way, cut and fold the inner pinch seam so it doesn't cut you tire.

Pictures011.jpg

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
I cut the front's up to the top of the flare. Basically draw a line around the outside of the flare...remove the flare and cut.......The rear was cut and rolled in

one other thing, if you trim it this way, cut and fold the inner pinch seam so it doesn't cut you tire.

Pictures011.jpg

Justin

Great work Justin. Your rig looks nice.

Besides looks, the flares serve a purpose, which is to keep the tire spray down. I get really tired of running with rooster tails all the time - makes a mess of everything. Of course it rains quite a bit here in the northwest. Just something else to consider before you rip 'em off.

tdr1213 said:
Great work Justin. Your rig looks nice.

Besides looks, the flares serve a purpose, which is to keep the tire spray down. I get really tired of running with rooster tails all the time - makes a mess of everything. Of course it rains quite a bit here in the northwest. Just something else to consider before you rip 'em off.

yeah, I live in southern california....rain is minimal....I probably would just relocate them higher if I lived back east, or the upper northwest where it rains alot.

Justin

Cut and pound, cut, pound some more. Seal the inside of the rear fold to prevent rust.I am not a big fan of flares(wrangler flares look goofy), and I don't mind the rooster tail, I kind of like it. But thats just it, it's all opinion, do what you like, what you think looks good... and what works. Look in the "readers rigs" and you will see, everyone does it a little different, aka, cut and fold, relocate flares, tj flares tube flares...... Keep in mind, cutting sheet metal is worse than heroin.You never thought you would do it, but once you try it you will do it any chance you get. I love my angle grinder!!!
Heres mine:
P1010036.jpg

P1010035.jpg

Good luck! Jim

Not Red but Green '97....

No flairs and no trimming yet....

I filled each of the flair bolt holes with a 1/4x 20 bolt that was about 1/2 inch long. For the front wheel wells they hold up the fender liner... In the rear they just fill the holes.

P9040004.JPG

The only thing about being flairless is that your junk gets dirty fast.

P9040009.JPG

This summer I have ditched the bumper end caps as they were getting smashed beyond belief. There is a limit to how many times they can be turned insideout.

Below is the best current pic that I have of the body locator hole that is in the top of the rear wheel well. You can see it with just a glint of light on it.

Someday I will get around to trimming the fenders and get rid of it.:eyes:

newtires.JPG

Back