• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does the KJ come with 8.25 rear?

A few 02's had the D35, but most (should be all after 03) have the 8.25. As far as I could come up with it should be a direct swap. I was going to try it, but couldn't locate any parts.

I called around to about a dozen yards in the southeast, and nobody would separate the brake components (ZJ) from the axle.

I'm very sloppy with my notes, but if I'm reading them correctly, there's a guy at Marsh Auto Parts in Siler City, NC .. he wouldn't part a good axle, but he did the swap on his own XJ and knows what's up with the ZJ disc swap - so he could probably get you what you want if you are willing to piece it together over time using the good sides from axles that took a hit.

No idea on price, and that's not a recommendation - just figured I'd note that he was the only guy I talked to knew what was up.

Matlock's in Cleveland, NC lists ZJ axles for 300 on car-part.com, so you could just pick up a whole axle and toss or sell what you don't want. Could try and get them to come down on the price by eliminating the warranty.IIRC, when I actually called them about the stock they had listed, they said they didn't have it.

That doesn't strictly answer your KJ question, but it's probably going to be even tougher or more expensive to dig up a KJ axle.

Just did a car-part.com search for giggles and came up with:

Rear Axle
Jeep Liberty -CHRYS 8-1/4 3.7L (3.73)-GEAR
P0641
$260
Auto Parts of Shelby -PRP USA-NC(Shelby) Request_Quote 1-888-597-7278

Last edited:
I always search that autopartsofshelby.com for parts and prices before I go any where. they don't always have what I need but they can locate it.

I did a KJ disc swap on my D44 with minimal fabrication and all off the shelf stock Jeep brake parts. Good brakes, just have to put more fluid to them.

They would bolt on to a XJ 8 1/4, I'm pretty sure the brake mounting is the same.

--Matt

egon said:
I did a KJ disc swap on my D44 with minimal fabrication and all off the shelf stock Jeep brake parts. Good brakes, just have to put more fluid to them.

They would bolt on to a XJ 8 1/4, I'm pretty sure the brake mounting is the same.

--Matt

kj, and all the newer jeeps do. newer v6 dakotas do, v8's come w/ 8.75's i think

tealcherokee said:
kj, and all the newer jeeps do. newer v6 dakotas do, v8's come w/ 8.75's i think

The dakota 8.25" is a 6 lug axle, V8 dakotas will come with either 8.25"s or 9.25". They haven't made 8 3/4" since the 70's, tis a great axle though.

Hell, the new WKs and XKs are using "front" and rear 8.25"s but are calling them AAM 200 and AAM 813.

--Matt

egon said:
The dakota 8.25" is a 6 lug axle, V8 dakotas will come with either 8.25"s or 9.25". They haven't made 8 3/4" since the 70's, tis a great axle though.

Hell, the new WKs and XKs are using "front" and rear 8.25"s but are calling them AAM 200 and AAM 813.

--Matt

yeah, it being 6 lug is just the shaft, the backing plates and calipers still bolt up, and u use the discs from a jeep, theyre the same size

and correct on the 9.25, i wish they still made the 8.75

egon said:

--Matt
What did you have to fab and was there a huge diff in braking. My 44 has a lot more braking surface then the old 35. Like 40%, but with low gears and in 4 lo it still pushes thru the brakes. I'm learnng to go into Neutral off falls. I hate that feeling of needing to stop and it pushing thru it. Especially when you are in those off-camber situations.

Early next year I will be doing the KJ swap into my XJ when the 8.25 comes out of my KJ and the D44 goes in. I am also going to swap in the 29 spline axles too. Hopefully I will do a write up and post.

My wifes 05 KJ has a 8.25. Aluminum 30 in the front. Yuck ! If its as big a turd as the XJ aluminum 44 they will wish they never did that. My parents went through 3 diffs in theirs and finally dumped the Jeep. They should of just stuck a 8.25 in it instead, but it was under factory warranty and they insisted in OME.
It was sweet Jeep other then that though. I think it was 1999 Limited.

I bought the TeraFlex kit 3+ years ago for $300. Works good. With regearing the motor can push a little more than I care, especially when the brakes are wet.

I thought there was some other issue with the KJ axle, like bolt pattern issues as well although that may not pose to be the biggest barrier.

lilredwagn said:
I called around to about a dozen yards in the southeast, and nobody would separate the brake components (ZJ) from the axle.

I'm very sloppy with my notes, but if I'm reading them correctly, there's a guy at Marsh Auto Parts in Siler City, NC .. he wouldn't part a good axle, but he did the swap on his own XJ and knows what's up with the ZJ disc swap - so he could probably get you what you want if you are willing to piece it together over time using the good sides from axles that took a hit.
A friend of mine in concord has done the disc brake swap. He can tell you what you need. As for the kj good luck in the SE. The yards arround here are high and limited.

boise49ers said:
My wifes 05 KJ has a 8.25. Aluminum 30 in the front. Yuck ! If its as big a turd as the XJ aluminum 44 they will wish they never did that. My parents went through 3 diffs in theirs and finally dumped the Jeep. They should of just stuck a 8.25 in it instead, but it was under factory warranty and they insisted in OME.
It was sweet Jeep other then that though. I think it was 1999 Limited.

XJ's had an aluminum 44 rear diff? Hmmm..don't think so. The front Al. D30 is lame and I blew one up already. I have seen them wheeled fairly hard and survive and seen others grenade during easy wheeling. I'm done w/ the one in mine and it is now a spare for my wifes KJ. My KJ is getting Rubicon D44's and 241 transfer case w/ an adapted Nth degree long arm lift. The rear 8.25 in my KJ will either be adapted to work in my XJ or gutted and the parts stuffed into my current XJ 8.25.

jjmat3 said:
XJ's had an aluminum 44 rear diff? Hmmm..don't think so. The front Al. D30 is lame and I blew one up already. I have seen them wheeled fairly hard and survive and seen others grenade during easy wheeling. I'm done w/ the one in mine and it is now a spare for my wifes KJ. My KJ is getting Rubicon D44's and 241 transfer case w/ an adapted Nth degree long arm lift. The rear 8.25 in my KJ will either be adapted to work in my XJ or gutted and the parts stuffed into my current XJ 8.25.

I think he meant ZJ - I seem to recall those coming with Al D44's for a while... I could be wrong, but I know the XJ D44's were built to AMC specs, which called for Iron...

5-90

Back