• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission pan removal?

tommyr

NAXJA Forum User
Got an '01 with the AW4. Got all the bolts out, & gasket unstuck.
Anyone got a trick for getting the fill tube seperated? Seems to be a two piece (one shoved in the other about 8 inches up from the pan. I'm trying to pull & twist at the same time without much success. Took out the bolt that held the fill tube 'tang' to the bell housing, but that doesnt want to sneak out the bottom the way the 'tang' is positoned (+ all the wiring around it).

It can take some doing, I had to heat mine up with a torch, but be careful if you try this tactic..

LOL, yeah, when I did it on my '91 I had to pull the pan out w/ the whole dipstick tube still attached. I was (barely) able to seperate the tubes with the whole assembly out, which made reinstalling easier, but not as easy as if I was able to seperate them in vehicle. Good luck... BUT, if you can't get it done, the whole assembly will come out in one piece - just a lot of twisting / turning involved...

use long needle nose. on an 01 you should be able to pull it apart.

On my 89, I had to pull the whole thing down, and separate it while off the vehicle. good think it was on a lift!

FINALLY got it apart after much fooling around. Thanks for the tips. I just loosened the upper tube from its mount, got it jammed behind the bell housing and yanked (and yanked and yanked) finally it came apart. Has anyone seen PINK RTV? That's what the old gasket was made of.

I don't know, Every bit of it was pink; including the residue left on the pan mounting screw threads. What ever it was it had sealed perfectly, no weeping or anything.

Back