• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compression Braking XJ safe?

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I rolled the trusty XJ down old priest's grade today (yosemite). For those who don't know, its a damn steep grade. I was a little concerned about the brakes, so I threw it in 12. This brought the revs up to 3k, then briefly down to 2k, and it really kept my speed in check. However, I'm forced to wonder if there is any reason why this should or should NOT be done. I was a little surprised that the thing didn't go into second... oh well. Anyway, what are your thoughts on compression braking?

I've had mine as high as 4500RPM in 1-2 and it hadn't shifted to second. Didn't want to push it harder than that. I don't recall what RPM it's at @ WOT when it comes out of 1st in Drive.

Engine braking's fine as long as your not driving around all day revving it to hell. Prolonged high engine speeds will increase wear, though.

Treat it like brakes. Use it when you have to. If the difference is you hitting a tree or the engine running at 5000RPM for a few seconds, the answer's obvious.

Yes, O.P. Grade is one scary mother if all you're counting on is brakes (there used to be a few vehicles off the side to attest to that, they just sat there for years because they were too hard to get off the hill) . I use 1-2 alot when off road (I might consider that stretch of road off road) just to save my brakes. I'm pretty sure that's why it's there.

It seems like the 1-2 doesn't actually include 2, it seems like it's only 1 because I use 1-2 coming off of my driveway and then shift up as go and it never changes from first gear, but in 3 it changes from 2-3 alot. I thought mine was the only one that was messed up like that but i guess not.

The 1-2 position will actually shift into 2nd, if you push it hard enough. I tried compression braking in the mountains of WV, but it revved to almost 5k without shifting. However, if you put the shifter in the 1-2 position and go WOT, it should shift into 2nd around 4500-4700 (my XJ does, anyways...)

i got to the end of old priest grade in an old jetta i had and when i stopped at the stop sign, both of my front brakes and tires were on fire. p.o.s. needless to say, had to have it towed. when i lived in modesto i went to yosemite all of the time and loved that road. i used to have fun on it with my ninja. scary fun.

Ok... sounds good. I had wondered if it might boil the tranny fluid... Which reminds me, I need to put in that cooler and gauge...

Thanks all.

Had a great time in yosemite tho - went on a long High Country backpacking trip, and finished with a quick Mt Dana climb... lots of fun.

Back