• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch mounting.

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
I have a hitch left over from my last XJ. IIt's a class II with three bolt holes on each side of the hitch. I mounted it using the three holes where there should be nutstrips. I used grade 8, 1/2 " bolts. I used the star looking type washer on top to keep the bolt from spinning. Does this sound OK. I would have used 3/4" bolts but the holes in the frame about 1/2".

I have a 8x8 trailer that I pull my snow blowe with. Nothing over 2000lbs (oad plus trailer.)

You could rip the nuts through the uniframe if you dont use a nut plate size piece of steel as a giant washer to distribute the weight.

x2.

do yourself a favor and buy a piece of steel bar stock to fit inside the uni-rail with holes drilled to match the outside, this will help distribute the load so you won't have star-washer sized holes ripped through your rigs rear-end. if you have access to a welder, you can tack the nuts to the strip you make so you won't need to hold them with a wrench.

remember... it's easier to prevent, than to repair that kind of uni-body/frame damage.:lecture:

Back