• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-lift jack

need to see pics of both. i just put my jack under my back seat bottom fits pretty good if you take off the bottom plate. p.s. dont drop the soap!!!

Wouldnt have one myself,actually i do have one in my mountain jeep but have never used it. It is however broken down and bolted down in various places , them things are dangerous in my opinion as most guys dont put a chain or a strap between the axle and the frame? to prevent it from streching out the suspension before it starts to lift anything.
Whats wrong with a bottle jack these days anyway ?

A High-Lift jack is a very useful tool for pulling one out of a tight spot. Used in conjunction with your front or rear recovery points, and it is like a poor man's winch. It will save yer butt when you need an extra foot or two and be pulled off, over, or around a rock or hole.

Using a Hi-Lift on your rock sliders will allow you to overcome a high centered situation. A bottle jack does not give the clearance, nor does it allow you to use it under the vehicle when resting on a pile of rocks (high centered), in most cases.

Go fro the Hi-LIft as a sort of insurance policy. It is more stable, convenient, and useful than other jacks. When you need it, you'll be glad you had it.

rocknxj said:
It is more stable, convenient, and useful than other jacks.

i've used a hi-lift several times in my life and must say the only time i've seen one in a stable condition was laying on the ground folded up and the handle tied with string. useful as they are (breaking beads on tires, lifting heavy crates, changing tires in a pinch, even installing a motor once) they have got to be the most dangerous thing i've ever seen. lol :gee: i'm mounting mine on the cargo racks with u-bolts and wing nuts. out of the cabin, out of the way for the most part. i would like to see pics of how he mounted it behind the seat though....

Low Range said:
Wouldnt have one myself,actually i do have one in my mountain jeep but have never used it. It is however broken down and bolted down in various places , them things are dangerous in my opinion as most guys dont put a chain or a strap between the axle and the frame? to prevent it from streching out the suspension before it starts to lift anything.

Not many bottle jacks come in the 4 foot variety.

I like mine just fine have yet to use it but I love the clanking and banging sound it makes on either right or left turns as the handle slides back and forth because it is mounted laying down.

pataterchip said:
I like mine just fine have yet to use it but I love the clanking and banging sound it makes on either right or left turns as the handle slides back and forth because it is mounted laying down.

LOL put a bungie on it! Mine is on my roof rack with the handle mounted up and for a while everytime i hit a bump the handle poped up and clanked when it fell back down... A nice decorative bungie took care of that for me! Welcome to NAXJA btw

lowrange2 said:
LOL put a bungie on it! Mine is on my roof rack with the handle mounted up and for a while everytime i hit a bump the handle poped up and clanked when it fell back down... A nice decorative bungie took care of that for me! Welcome to NAXJA btw
There is a rubber handle holder that works very well that is specifically designed for the hi lift.

If you find a place for a 60'', let us know.

hilift.jpg

I've got mine in the back it just took a little modification and has no rattles due to the handle isolater click to make it bigger

Low Range said:
I have to agree about them being dangerous. Dam thing weighs a ton and you better keep it clean and oiled. Play with it in your driveway so you will get the feel for it before you need it at night. Because of the weight I mounted mine as low in the body as it could go. Pop out the lower rear seat cuision and you can slide it right under the passenger seat. I use a bolt and a wing nut to bolt the base to the sheet metal the seat rides on. It's really not in the way at all and it's weight is low. A roof mounted high lift is stupid. If you have it up high you are increasing your chances of rollover. Same with rear tire carrier that mount the tire shovel and highlift up high. Bad plan. Heavy shit like axels.driveshafts,hatchet,chains, winch block all need to go under the rear seat or on the floor to keep them low. I run a 34x9.50x15 as a spare so I can lay it flat on the floor and still keep the rear seat. Nice and low. Same with lift. 4.5" and 35"tires. Any higher and add weight like a high lift to the roof and you better have full coverage insurance. I've been in 2 rollovers and have seen many more. You have been warned. Sorry it's off topic.

My jack lays between the wheel wells and behind the seat along with my axe and shovel. I did cut about 4" off of the jack to get it there.

gear6ca1.jpg

Wow you got a lot of stuff back there... Are you a Boy-Scout grad? You're very prepared! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

Yeah, I go "Prepaired"! I have everything I need in there to rebuild both axles and fix most typical XJ mechanical failures, I also have plenty of tools to fix it with.

gear3rv5.jpg

Back