• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minimum lift for 33" tires wo cutting fenders

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just ready to upgrade my rear axle to a D44, and I'm ready to get my 3.5" lift to 5.5". My front fenders are cut out, so I'm positive (at sight) that I will be able to fit 33 tires there only having to adjust the LCAs.

However, I'm not 100% sure in the back. The matter is that I don't want to trim anything there (4 doors do not give too much space for trimming anyway), and I don't want to limit suspension travel by using some larger bumpstops. Anybody out there running 33 tires with rear 5.5" lift or less without trimming?

Regards

Bumpstop it and you could run 33's on even a 3.5"

im running 35" MTR's on 2.5" in the rear (1.5" TnT boomerang shackle, 1"block) and 1" coil spacer in the front

lift is over-rated, just pull out the sawzall
:moon:

I'm running a RE 4.5" kit with 33" BFG AT's without any trimming in the rear. They will rub a bit on stuffing, but nothing bad at all. Newest pic of where it sits as of now.

Jeeprack.jpg

EDIT: Hmmm.....that's a little dark huh? ;)

Last edited:
BACK SPACE on rims will help.. i have a 6.5 lift with 4" off set on rims, i do rub a little on the flair... so i would think if the off set is less you can clear, with a 5.5 lift

OK, thank's for the info. The post from RyanM is right, but somewhat out of subject. The D44 I'll be using will come with 4.10s, so I'll be upgrading the front to 4.10 (from my crappy 3.07s, I should need 3.75 with 33s to keep stock driveability, so 4.1 is not too deep for street and will perform OK offroad)...

I know I can get really big tires with almost no lift, but I'm looking for a flexy vehicle that can still be stable enough for me on the street. So a small lift with big tires will sacrifice off-road performance a bit, and a too big lift will give me bad street performance. I know people running 6.5" lifts without any terrible stability issues; that's why I feel comfortable with 5.5", my only question was about to go for 33 or 32 tires, but I think 33 can do just fine; at least it seems this way seeing dadilius's XJ, don't think I'll have any trouble with the tires... Just wanted some experiences from a similar setup...

I have 6.5" in front and 6" in rear. I had to trim the front so that it would not rub on turns. but the rear works fine untill I flex out.
I would say you need 7+ to make it work with out trimming.
so just cut the fenders.

Also... 4.10 gears MIN 4.56 best. (if you have an auto tranny 4.56 min)
and backspaced rims are a must if the tire size is greater than 10" wide.
good luck.

I have backspaced wheels already; I'm still not 100% sure if I should go for 32 or 33 tires. As far as I see, it can work fine with the 5.5", with minimum trouble. Any idea of how much difference it makes on the trail with 32 vs 33 tires then? I just don't want to lift too much as it's my DD.

Well, it's interesting but I'm not 100% sure that a uptravel limit won't affect total travel. I agree that the downtravel of one side is independent of the uptravel of the other side; however, the sum of both will give you total suspension travel.

That means that I would need revolver shackles to give much more downtravel to such a setup. Here is one interesting picture about what you're saying:

toyoen39s.jpg

For the front, it looks like you need very soft coil springs that can strech alot for downtravel and compress alot when the car is on stable ground.

What about leaf-springs? As far as I've seen, revolvers are not recommended for tires under 35, what would you do with 33s to get a suspension that has alot of downtravel?

What about the limiting factor of shocks? The shorter a shock, the less travel it has.

Im running 33's with just 4.5" of lift and the rear flexes fine. I did have to fold in some of the finder so that it would stop cutting into the tire when fully flexed and i also need to lower the bumpstop about an inch so that the top of the tire does not touch the top edge of the finder. I like it though and it works fine. You can eliminate some of the rubbing if you leave the rear sway bar attached but you loose some flex.

Back