• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper control arms

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Looking for some help. My xj has a 4.5 RC kit with the stock uppers. My tires look like this /---\ and even though I did the best alignment I could my tires are being eaten. I need something to try and keep my tires from being drestroyed until a paycheck or two when I can get adjustables. Anyone know of junkyard options? Are uppers a bit longer on a grand or a tj that might work for now to help with pinion/cambor problem?

Why is you camber so far off? How far off is your caster angle? Since wheels are round I'm not sure it you're saying your camber or toe is way off... Elaborate please sir.

Assumably this is on a '90 HPD30? Do you have an angle finder at your disposal? Have you measured you wheel base etc? Just a few questions and maybe i can help you out.

sorry my wheel are straight from of the jeep to back how ever the bottom of the tire sticks out farther then the top of the tire so looking at the front of the jeep looks like this /--\ i was told that is because the lower arms are pushing the bottom of the axle out and I need longer ones on top to straighten it. My bearrings are good and I know you can't adjust anything there so it's got to be the upper arms being too short right?

90XJay said:
sorry my wheel are straight from of the jeep to back how ever the bottom of the tire sticks out farther then the top of the tire so looking at the front of the jeep looks like this /--\ i was told that is because the lower arms are pushing the bottom of the axle out and I need longer ones on top to straighten it. My bearrings are good and I know you can't adjust anything there so it's got to be the upper arms being too short right?

Not exactly...do you have an angle finder? and have you measured your wheel base? It should be between 100 and 101" and your caster angle should be between 5 and 8 deg neg. My best guess is your angle is off and your toe in is too great.

Toe in should be somewhere between 0-1/16th inch. Tell us so we can better help you?

Last edited:
sounds like your ball joints are shot or your front axle is bent...

there is no adjusting a D30's camber...

90XJay said:

I should add that adjustable lowers and stock or fixed uppers really only effect your castor angle. If you have adjustable uppers and lowers than you get to adjust the wheel base as well as the caster angle.

Your upper control arms have nothing to do with your camber being off. Either your axle is bent, your ball joints are bad, or your wheel bearings are shot.

No I've never jumped it lol the axle was in my last jeep and there was no problem. I bought this jeep (sold dead) and fixed it. I swapped my axles from my old one to this one (had a 35 yuck and a 30 with 2 bad bearrings). Wheel bearings are tight and I don't think the ball joints are bad because it passes inspection and a bud (mechanic) said he couldn't find any play in them. I don't have an angle finder but here are some quick pics (at work)

0827071504ai5.jpg

How both wheels are wearing out
0827071504awi7.jpg

0722070911sr0.jpg

0827071505auv5.jpg

I will try to measure my wheel base when I have a chance. It's center hub to center hub right?

XJ_ranger said:
sounds like your ball joints are shot or your front axle is bent...

there is no adjusting a D30's camber...
opie... opie.... opie....

You can adjust the camber on a D30, it's just expensive, and you should go find a new axle if that's the reason your camber is hosed.
But, there are adjustable ball joints, and with a 90, you may be able to get the adjustable sleeves that go into the knuckles.

adjustable bj's aren't cheap. adjustable sleeves are are about $40 a pop.

axles are out of a 98, bought em for my last 90, then they went in here. Why would changing the jeep the axle is in change this /--\ same tires, same bearrings. It stumped me. Also how could I measure out my angle? I used to be smart and knew trig lol

the axle was fine in my old jeep. after the swap we noticed it looked that way with no miles on it after the swap. I'll try measuring the axle itself to see if it is bent but i have never beat on my jeep.

It look to me like the toe-in need to be adjusted. Also check all the TRE's while you are at it. The front of both wheels appear to be looking out too much. Get a measuring tape and measure the distance at the back of the wheel and at the front. I think the difference should be 1/16" ??

I had to use an offset ball joint on my rig there are 3 types 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5 degree offset which can be used to correct camber and caster as well. If you know of a good alignment guy he should me able to tell you what should be done. I put in 1.0 degree which cost me a little over a $100 at Carquest

Good Luck

techno1154 said:
It look to me like the toe-in need to be adjusted. Also check all the TRE's while you are at it. The front of both wheels appear to be looking out too much. Get a measuring tape and measure the distance at the back of the wheel and at the front. I think the difference should be 1/16" ??

dead on!

I was going through the same thing with my XJ. I had that wheel tilted inward look. Axle wasn't bent and every front end component is new. RE drop brackets. I've been fiddling with this thing for two weeks trying to find the issue. Well tonight I did a driverway alignment and found way too much toe in. I adjusted and guess what? Problem solved. I can't believe I wasted all that time before dealing with the obvious. Check your toe in and adjust. It worked for me.

Back