• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak-leaks?

milkman3848

NAXJA Forum User
I know i have one or some, but can't tell where they're coming from. It doesn't look like i'm lossing much, it just looks like it's everywhere so i can't tell where it's from. I know i can replace the oil pan seal myself, as for the rear main goes i'm not so sure i could do it myself. Any ideas of where it might be coming from and what all I could do?

The best thing to do is to clean the underside of the Jeep. Clean it good with a pressure washer. Then for the next few days keep an eye out for fresh oil leaks, and that will give you an idea of where it's coming from.

give us more ino on the jeep. ex miles, year
i have a 98 w/ 143k miles and had the same problem.
i took the tranny pan off to put a new filter and gasket on. the old pan gasket used by the previous owner was the liquid silicon crap. which is probably why mine was leaking. so i put the right gasket on ans no more leak.
no way to really tell in my opinion unless it starts pouring out. then you know its the main.

It only really leaks when i get up to higher speeds with higher RPMs. I think mike you actually said something to me about the transmission pan. How hard is that one to replace along with the filter? Anything like replacing to oil pan seal? It's a 98 with just over 100k.

Trans pan seal is harder to change than it needs to be. The dipstick tube is attached to the pan, which makes it a royal PITA to take off. With 100k on it, it should have the filter changed in the tranny anyway, so go ahead and do that, especially since it's going to start seeing offroad use. Installing a large aftermarket trans fluid cooler is also recommended. But like I said before, clean the undercarriage well, and then you'll be able to pinpoint the leaks more accurately.

Most common places are the valve cover gasket at the rear, the "O" rings inside of the oil filter adapter and of course the dreaded rear main seal. All wind up hitting the ground at the bell housing.

Georgia Mike said:
Trans pan seal is harder to change than it needs to be. The dipstick tube is attached to the pan, which makes it a royal PITA to take off. With 100k on it, it should have the filter changed in the tranny anyway, so go ahead and do that, especially since it's going to start seeing offroad use. Installing a large aftermarket trans fluid cooler is also recommended. But like I said before, clean the undercarriage well, and then you'll be able to pinpoint the leaks more accurately.
The best way I have found to get that stubborn dip stick tube free from the pan is to remove the tube hold down bolt at the bell housing and wiggle and shake the tube while pulling up, it will finally give up! Do this before taking the pan loose.

I also support the T-case with a jackstand and remove the cross member, it makes the job go easier. It will not be as hard to get the pan/gasket lined up with out the gasket slipping on you. The crossmember only takes a few min. to remove and re-install.

My $.02

I wish my crossmember only took that long.... I have an aftermarket and it's on there pretty good. But mike i'll do what you said and spray it off and figure it out, THEN i'll have a lot more questions i'm sure

milkman3848 said:
I wish my crossmember only took that long.... I have an aftermarket and it's on there pretty good. But mike i'll do what you said and spray it off and figure it out, THEN i'll have a lot more questions i'm sure

Uh, I forgot that disclaimer, it will take much longer with a t-case skid, I have one on my trail rig as well.

xjtrailrider said:
Most common places are the valve cover gasket at the rear, the "O" rings inside of the oil filter adapter and of course the dreaded rear main seal. All wind up hitting the ground at the bell housing.

The "O" ring has caused me problems on my past jeeps, I'd say that start there.

Back