• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$#@! shackle bolts!

XJ5

NAXJA Forum User
Why the hell did they put the lower shackle bolts in backwards so you can't pull them out without hitting your receiver hitch? I figured instead of unbolting the whole receiver hitch, I would just use a cutting wheel to cut the bolt. Somehow, I managed to grind though half of the shackle in the process! Luckily I have a spare set of shackles, so I attempt to loosen the upper shackle bolt. I was able to start turning the bolt, then POP! the weldnut broke. I took the bumper off and got the old bolt out finally. So my question is: would it be okay to just use a regular nut in place of the weldnut, or should I get a nylock nut or something since I don't have access to a welder right now?

You could probably drive it 100k miles without a nut at all. Those bolts don't just fall out, and even in the unlikely event that it did fall out, the axle has the other spring and the two ends of the swaybar to keep it from moving. So, yes, any old nut will do until you can get a nylock.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure some of you out there can relate to popping the weldnut. This was supposed to be an easy spring swap. Instead I spent all afternoon getting the damn bumper off and cutting out the bolt. I know some people have talked about welding a new washer and bolt in there, but I don't know if that's necessary. Of course now if I ever want to remove the shackle again, I'll have to remove the bumper. Suggestions are welcome.:gonnablow

XJ5 said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure some of you out there can relate to popping the weldnut. This was supposed to be an easy spring swap. Instead I spent all afternoon getting the damn bumper off and cutting out the bolt. I know some people have talked about welding a new washer and bolt in there, but I don't know if that's necessary. Of course now if I ever want to remove the shackle again, I'll have to remove the bumper. Suggestions are welcome.:gonnablow

Been there done that. Gonna drop the gas tnak and tighten down the nut and be done with it.

Probably not a bad idea to drop the tank. I was a little leery using the cutting wheel back there with all those sparks right next to the gas tank.:explosion I was wondering if I should try to put a washer on the end of the bolt or some kind of a locking nut? What have you guys done when you busted out the weldnut? That sheetmetal where the old nut was welded seems pretty thin to me.

man, i know how you feel too, i spent a whole day just getting the old shackles out and ended up cutting them out. not a very user friendly set up but i'm sure it saved chrysler some bucks, anyway got my new shackles in eventually and that's the last time i touch em!

XJ5 said:

the reason for wanting to drop the tank is because I want to drill a hole only big enough to get my deep socket in. The less metal removal the better

Should I be worried about replacing the piece of metal I cut out to get into the end of the framerail? It was probably about 2"x2". I thought I'd just hit the bare metal with some primer and call it good.

Back