• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light (I looked)

imwally

NAXJA Forum User
Okay today driving the jeep the check engine light came on. I have a 92 xj automatic 4.0. I can turn the key over 3 times and the light will go off but what could be the issue? Any help would be great since it is the daily driver for my 16 year old daughter.

tooele, like the river? obd1? check the codes. i had a mazda of that same year that set the chack engine light off every 80,000 miles. i dunno bro.

Take it to Autozone,they'll check your codes for free,with the intention to sell you some parts,of course.Beat the hell out of guessing,replace defective part,unhook the battery for a minute and watch to see if light returns.
Otherwise throw cash at the Jeep,It'll feed heavily till it's full.

Well Auto zone said they can not put it on a computer. They can only do 96 and newer. Well found the code by turning it on and off 3 times and the 3rd time I count the blinks.

codes are: 1-2,4-1,5-5.

Any idea guys and gals?

o4petesake said:
Take it to Autozone,they'll check your codes for free,with the intention to sell you some parts,of course.Beat the hell out of guessing,replace defective part,unhook the battery for a minute and watch to see if light returns.
Otherwise throw cash at the Jeep,It'll feed heavily till it's full.

I do not throwing money but I would rather put that into my yj since that is the one we take off road.

imwally said:
Well Auto zone said they can not put it on a computer. They can only do 96 and newer. Well found the code by turning it on and off 3 times and the 3rd time I count the blinks.

codes are: 1-2,4-1,5-5.

Any idea guys and gals?

12 is battery disconnected recently, and 55 is end of codes.

From my searches, 41 is: "Alternator field control circuit open or shorted"

Source: http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2719

I have a 93 xj with the 4.0 that did the same thing today. The check engine light only comes on when I have been driving for over an hour or so highway at normal temps. After I stop and it cools off it does not light up. Any ideas? Will I be able to try the key test while it is hot and the light is on?

The key trick will not work with 87-90 Renix models. They do not store codes, but must be analyzed while running. Aside from Jeep dealers, you might find a well equipped shop with a Snap-On analyzer and the correct module to read it.

Note to Jeep3: although the light may come on and off, the computer should store the code for 40 starts, even if the problem goes away again and the light goes off, so you should not need to read it while it's hot.

jeep3 said:
I have a 93 xj with the 4.0 that did the same thing today. The check engine light only comes on when I have been driving for over an hour or so highway at normal temps. After I stop and it cools off it does not light up. Any ideas? Will I be able to try the key test while it is hot and the light is on?

This is what mine did. I did notice while it was on the volt meter was little lower then normal. But this morning it did not come on at all. We will see what happends going around town this week.

jeep3 said:
My codes are also 12, 41, 55. Any ideas to fix this?

Take note as the following dimensions are imperative to really FIXING the problem.

Place a 2.54cmx2.54cm square of black electrical tape over the "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT." Any decent tape will work but I recommend Scotch SUPER 33+

Really dedicated jeepers have been known to fab up new overlays for the light with things like "Bad-ass stroker activate," "Ejector Seat," or "Winch-mount pedestrian grinder." For a modest outlay of plastic these modifications can result in improved horsepower & torque, forcible passenger expulsion or even charges of vehicular manslaughter and speeding on the sidewalk.

Sorry, I only know about the OBDII systems and what I know about it is very little.

Rockslut said:
How did you check it? I had the same code on my 91 MJ, replaced alternator, code was gone instantly.

I also had mine checked at auto zone and they said my alt was good. But still got the code later on during the day. So I will have to figure out another way to test but it looks like I have the same codes as jeep3.

The way I was taught to check the alternator is to loosen the positive battery cable to the point you can take it off. Then start the engine and pull the battery cable off. If the alternator is working correctly the engine will keep running, if it doesn't you need a new alternator. I've been told not to do this with newer vehicles, but it also worked on my 2000 Wrangler.

Back