• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM ignition cyl vs mopar style

oldjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 90 comanche that I'm fixing up for my kid. The column was super sloppy so I pulled one from a 91 cherokee, but no key came with it They look 99% the same except that the 91 has the Mopar style ignition switch ($70 or so to replace). Anyone know if you can use the GM style cylinder in it's place ($11)? (90 and older)

Thanks

Napa and other auto parts stores sell replacements much cheaper than the dealers. Check thier prices and if the gm one is still cheaper, I believe they should be the same, but compare them to be sure. Jeep sourced those columns from gm back then...

At the auto parts stores GM cylinders are $11-$15 the chrysler style are $41-$70.

Glad to hear that I can swap in a GM one, that will make it a much cheaper job.

they dont use the exact key
Gm has their keyway A,C,D,E,J
most older jeeps will be a RA4 or 1970am blank from the older AMC's

either way it will still work
our cost $5.99 or so

If you were to get ahold of a 92 up door locks and ignition you would have 1 key instead of 2.......Your call

oldjeep said:
Picked one up today for $10 at O'reilly, so I should be all set.

Thanks
Let us know how the swap goes. If you just have to make the swap or if you need to modify something. Just curious as I have a 90 and my daughter has a 91 so the swap info may come in handy.

it will work just fine, the jeep and gm steering colums are actually the same as well. I've got a gm steering colum in mine and one day had to replace the ignition cylinder as well, my key now says its for a GM vehicle but only I know better.

Nope, doesn't work. The 90 GM style cylinder does fit and turns, but here's the problem, although both the 90 and 91 are GM style columns the 91 doesn't have the key release (since the 91 - chrysler style cylinder doesn't need one.) So once you turn the key you can't get it back out.

So I went to the store and bought the 91 style cylinder and key for $40. That's what I get for trying to save $30.

On a side note, the 91 and up cylinders need to have the key in them to remove the lock cylinder. I didn't have a key for the junkyard column, but a 3/8" drill bit straight into the lock cylinder solved that problem. After a little drilling it caught and broke all the tumbler pins in the lock :)

My brother has a 92 MJ that i replaced the cyl in

none of these need a key in them to remove them,They are either bolt in(obvious bolt with either torx or phillips head) or pop in,Small metal bar that hold it in place,Easy to move with a flat head blade.

On the newer 1995 and up when they went to the chrysler w/ the module around the cyl and have airbag,Those do need a key unless you crack the cyl push the retainer and then turn the cyl back towards off and it will pop right out

You still over paid for that part,But atleast you figured it out on your own,Pat on the back since i get calls from people who fuck up trying to do it themselves

PIC EXAMPLE OF POP IN STYLE

wobble12.jpg

Last edited:
Your picture is of the GM style cylinder, Mine had the chrysler style - triangualr key - same as my 94 YJ. On the one I had, it was not possible to push the retainer unless the key was in the run position - I tried that first ;) The Jeep manual said that the key had to be in to remove the cylinder.

ks6098.jpg

Last edited:
Back