• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C to O.B.A. question

moparmatt

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to rig up the old A/C compressor to run as a air compressor.

Which end is the inlet and which is output?

I have a 95 XJ R-134 coolant A/C system. I have read tons of write-ups on this mods, most talk about converting the old R-12 compressor, well I need newer R-134

My compressor has two fittings on the back side (NOT the top as most write-ups show), each has its own label. One says "D" the other says "S". Could any translate what that means.

TIA :D

the old r-12 compressors work as air comps because they had an oil pan of sorts that lubed the pistons so they didnt fry. new r-134a comps dont have this they rely on the oil being carried by freon. no freon no oil = fubar comp.

98XJeep said:
the old r-12 compressors work as air comps because they had an oil pan of sorts that lubed the pistons so they didnt fry. new r-134a comps dont have this they rely on the oil being carried by freon. no freon no oil = fubar comp.
I'm gonna call SPOBI on this one...
All XJs use the Sanden compressor, this is the one that requires oiling.
R134a has it's own lubricant...so does freon
York compressors are the ones with separate oiling, never used in a XJ.

You can easily install an in-line oilier and use air tool oil, then add a filter/separator after the compressor. It's been done many times, and mine has worked great this way with some hard use (air tools) for about 2 years.

I don't see why not buy a $60 compressor from pepboys, and hardwire it in. They have one that almost exactly parallels one from viar. Throw in a tank and your good to go.

Tsunami Master FLow
April05Flyer_16B_tsunami.jpg

Viar 400
Viair400.gif

jpbxj79 said:
Suction= sucks in....... Discharge= blows out....... S.....D.... Look for arrows as well.

Wow it was that easy :doh:
I will look again for the arrows

DanMan2k06 said:
I don't see why not buy a $60 compressor from pepboys, and hardwire it in. They have one that almost exactly parallels one from viar. Throw in a tank and your good to go.

Why would I spend money when it is already there. I have all the parts because I am a pack rat and have good connections. The only thing I need to buy is an oiler.

Plus on top of that it takes up less space, also my A/C had a leak thus it was already empty.

I have been told that the A/C compressor is very powerful.

On top of that it is more rewarding, now all of my buddies are going to think I am a ingenious dude. :moon:

moparmatt said:
I have been told that the A/C compressor is very powerful.

On top of that it is more rewarding, now all of my buddies are going to think I am a ingenious dude. :moon:

It's pretty darn powerful. I have a 5gal tank on mine and it runs my impact and inflates tires like there's no tomorrow.

My buddy converted his YJ, and has no tank at all, he is running 35s. Another friend has the Viair compressor in his TJ, no tank and 33s. They decided to "race" one day from 15 to 28psi. The YJ had inflated all 4 35s before the TJ was done with two 33s!

The AC comp is way more powerful...hands down. Now if your AC works and you wanted to keep it, the Viair is a decent option, but I'm with you on the "it doesn't work anyway so mod it" way of thinking :)

And yes, there are rewards when someone sees it and has never seen it done before. I have a air port mounted in my front grill, I love the "what the heck is that" question.

Back