• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft Tolerances

kd5dwy

NAXJA Forum User
My '87 XJ (4.0, PS, AC, AW4, 238000 miles) has eaten three belts in the last several months. It keeps wanting to ride up on the engine side of the crankshaft pulley which causes the engine-side rib of the belt to strip off. I cut that rib off completely and re-installed and it now appears that my crank is trying to push out even further! What keeps the crank pulley drawn into the engine and how hard is it to replace? Can I shim this externally somehow? While I had the belt off, I grabbed the pulley and I can move it 1/4 in. front to back easily. This can't be good for bearings and the like on the crank...

Not to answer my own question, but I pulled the balancer and put the bolt back in. Grabbed hold of the bolt, pushed and pulled, no movement. I guess I'm off to buy a new harmonic balancer and belt.

Back