• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackles gone missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I go to school at App State, and as soon as I got here, my D-shackles on my ARB bumper and in my receiver in the back were stolen. I don't want to put them back on because I don't want to get them stolen again. But as soon as it starts snowing, I starting pulling people out of ditches and I don't want to go through the hassle of taking the shackles on and off. I have a locking pin to save the reciever, but not the shackles. Does anyone know of of locking pins to save the shackles?

yea, the shackles are not too big of a deal to put on man...

and I hate to say it, but I don't even feel bad for you...what kinda dummy leaves their rig in a parking lot full of students, with parts like that not locked down? OF COURSE THEY GOT STOLEN.

I'd put some red Loctite on the threads...it will make them VERY difficult to get them off without heating up the pin to break down the Loctite. I wouldn't think your common thief would think of that, or want to take the time.

Or, you could wait for them to try it, and shoot the bastards.

Skits said:
I'd put some red Loctite on the threads...it will make them VERY difficult to get them off without heating up the pin to break down the Loctite. I wouldn't think your common thief would think of that, or want to take the time.

Or, you could wait for them to try it, and shoot the bastards.

It makes them kind of hard to use if you lock tite them on there lol.

BlueCuda said:
It makes them kind of hard to use if you lock tite them on there lol.

Why would it be hard to use them if the threads are glued up? Locktite sounds like a good idea, not as good as welding but a whole lot more reversable!

Otherwise, just keep them under your seat in a zip-lock bag until you need them.

When I use mine I unhook them and put them though the loop in the strap and put them back on the bumper. To me that seems to be the best way to do it. I use a screwdriver to put them reallydamntight to discourage parking lot thieves.

How can I secure my antenna ball? Is keeps getting stolen when I leave my rig un-attended.:wierd:​

yeah. thanks. locktite sounds like a good idea. I appreciate the help. everything on the jeep is locked down. i was looking for an idea to lock them down. good try though.

Asside from the already stated "don't leave them outside" answer, here is another possible solution:

Get a clevis shackle that has a clipped pin not a threaded one such as the one below:
318001_lg.gif

and then use a regular hitch lock like this one:
12742_lg.gif

Come to think of it, you could probably also put one of the hitch locks through the hold of a threaded one on the ARB bumper and they wouldn't be able to turn it without removing the lock first.

Fortunately I have never had mine stolen, although I did have my 108" whip stolen from my school's parking lot. Good luck securing them.

take 'em off and leave 'em off, don't you take 'em off to attach your tow line and take 'em off to detatch said tow line just don't put 'em back on like said earlier leave 'em under your Rear seat that way if you loose it in the snow they don't injure you when they would become a projectile

just get a really strong friend and a screwdriver and tighted that sob down as far as you can. ive actually had people try to take it off and they cant, im sure someone could but prolly not worth the trouble.

your best bet is to just take them off and only put them on as you need them you have to take them off to put the end of the strap on any way so wtf? dont be that lazy leave them in an easy place to get to like the same place you keep your strap or even leave them on the strap.....

Fish'nCarz said:
Why would it be hard to use them if the threads are glued up? Locktite sounds like a good idea, not as good as welding but a whole lot more reversable!

Otherwise, just keep them under your seat in a zip-lock bag until you need them.

Typically people use shackles to prevent from using the less safe "hook ended" tow straps, etc. So if their locked on what good are they?

Anything not locked onto your rig is going to get stolen in a huge parking lot... I wouldnt even leave anything at all in the jeep to start with (especially tools, hi-lift, etc.)

When I was up there I would just leave my old YJ unlocked to who ever could just hop in and see that I didnt have anything.

mundur5 said:
yeah. thanks. locktite sounds like a good idea. I appreciate the help. everything on the jeep is locked down. i was looking for an idea to lock them down. good try though.

SERIOUSLY you lazy-ass. dude. they're removeable for a reason. you take them off, and put them on. that's the way theyr'e designed, and you know, you're gonna be takin them off and puttin them on to get your tow strap on, or you'll at the very least be going up front to hook it up later. are you frickin lazy or somethin? or are you just trying to be badass and pose with clevis' on your truck? christ man, it takes less than 30 seconds to hook them up.hasta

Go talk to the local cops, not about the stolen stuff but about if they will give you ticket for towing someone out of a ditch. In Michigan you are technically not supposed to and it’s a ticketable offense. If you in college, last thing you need to do is break your junk and get a ticket helping someone out, especially if it’s not a buddy or atleast an acquaintance. Put your hazards on get them a tow if you can with out getting in trouble. Maybe the laws are different down there we are a terrible blue state and broke and cops are ticket machine assholes. Get home safe with your junk safe and help your buds, that’s where I would draw the line with being putting my neck out to get slapped by the law.

Do you guys even get more than a 1” – 2” snowfalls down there anyways?

Buy new rings and take them off as needed, you can trust the average student these days. I am 4 years out of college and I used to take off my Thule roof rack accessories KNOWING they would get stolen no question if I left them on. Took hitch/mount-ball off and threw that in the trunk. Don’t leave anything that isn’t welded on.

Drunk dudes will steal that stuff just for shitz and giggles, not to sell, not to use, jsut for fun.

Put a claymore trip wire on your shackles... no x2 on locktite or just keep them inside its really not bad to re-attach them

I agree with the last two posts 100%. I CAUGHT a guy trying to steel the roof rack off of my truck. and it was bolted on...from the inside. even caught someone trying to steel a gun rack (you heard me correctly) from a buddy's truck. yes, that buddy is a redneck, and yes, they got their asses beat by my redneck buddy. I watched. he doesn't use the gunrack...much...but w/e.

point is, if it's removeable you're ENTICING people to steal.

another word of advice...don't show off your vehicle up at school or in the big city. people know what it is then and they know what could be had easy from it...you blast your subs, people know you have an expensive system and it becomes worth the risk to them. you open your lambo'd doors that you put on your damn oldsmobile alero, chances are the lambo kit will get stolen (I hate to say it, but that was a real case scenario at UW-Whitewater...kid was drivin around w/ the doors up :roll: )

low profile man, low profile..

I cant remember the thread someone had a remote alarm ( it alerted you when your car was tampered with silent otherwise)... I dont know how far away it was however it could alert you if someone was tampering with your jeep. Perhaps thats something you might want to look into if it becomes more frequent or serious.

the only reason you would leave them on would be for looks. the argument that it's more work to remove them is bogus if you're using them to secure loop only (no hook) tow straps. think about it - if they are on the rig already you have to 1)take it off 2)put it back on with strap attached 3)take it off to remove strap 4)put it back on

if you have it under the seat, all you have to do for towing is steps 2 and 3. soooo...either you're not using it for tow straps, or you're a lil too concerned about looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back