• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 runs great 1/2 hr then will not take fuel, idels/starts fine?

KyXJ/TJ

NAXJA Forum User
89 limited runs great, after wheeling for about a 1/2hr to 1hr it will only take fuel by barely appling pressure to throttle. When I try to apply more it sounds as if its backfiring through the intake. No black smoke.
It will start on command and sit there & run fine. When I limp it back home and come back the next day or much later in the day it runs fine.
This is my first option, to see if anyone has encountered this before. I haven't tryed changing any parts yet, I thought I would check with you guys first.

In the folowing order, I would bet on these:

First is the TPS.
Then the CPS, followed by the O2 sensor, fuel pump, and maybe a poor ground.

All have caused this problem before. The first three can be tested with a volt/ohm multi meter. The Fuel pump with a pressure gauge, and the last with the ohm meter.

KyXJ/TJ said:
89 limited runs great, after wheeling for about a 1/2hr to 1hr it will only take fuel by barely appling pressure to throttle. When I try to apply more it sounds as if its backfiring through the intake. No black smoke.
It will start on command and sit there & run fine. When I limp it back home and come back the next day or much later in the day it runs fine.
This is my first option, to see if anyone has encountered this before. I haven't tryed changing any parts yet, I thought I would check with you guys first.

My cousin's bett'in TPS also. Anyway, I figure I'll end up changing all the sensors sooner or later. Dedicated trail rig w/ 178,000.

Back