• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
i have some screaching noies when i first start the jeep up in the morning or when i turn on the AC i think it might be the belt. anyone have an ideas?

FYI, post questions like this in the OEM forum next time. This is not a question pertaining to a modified XJ.

The squeaking is coming from your serpintine belt. It's the big long belt that runs all over the front of the engine. Check the underside for cracking and then tighten it. You could probably do it yourself, go get a Chilton's manual and it will walk you through it. Otherwise, a shop will probably do it for next to nothing.
Hope that helps.

a/c compressor may be lazy due to lack of lubrication/wear. Mine sticks once and a while and smokes the belt,and I shut it of

If you pull the belt to inspect don't forget the Idler pully mine sounded like straight metal on metal screaching one time. Good thing was that I already knew it was going and had a spare.

Your bearings could also be going bad, my water pump's bearings were going made and making a terrible screeching noise.

Back