• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on Rusty's LCA's

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Yes I searched.

Current set up is 3" with 31x10.50 BFG's, all front end components with the exception of the stabilizer and trac bar are stock.

The tires rub on the LCA's at full lock, as expected. I'm considering
Rusty's LCA's that are meant for set ups where the stock tires are used (claims it can work upto a 33x12.50 on the stock wheels), but I dont know much about it.

Anybody out there using them, or know anything more about them? I've also heard of the washers on the steering stop idea, but my turning radius already sucks enough, and I dont want to make it any worse (unless im mis-understanding that concept).

Thanks for the input.:thumbup:

buy some rims with less backspacing.

Rusty's does make high clearance arms for use with stock wheels, I haven't seen any of these from RE.

I installed a set of these in a XJ with 3" and stock BS wheels with 31s. They are good for the amount of clearance they offer for the tire.

BUT... the only problem I saw is they would easily bind on the LCA mount/coil bucket at full droop.... Their regular arms have the same bend in them, it is just on a "vertical plane" instead of "horizontal" like the "high clearance" arms. That "vertical" bend is designed to give you more clearance at the LCA/Coil mount on the axle. The RE arms have an offset bushing to accomplish the same goal. (hope that made sense???)

Now with that said, there is a good amount of material you can safely remove from the coil buckets so this would be less of a problem.

I do agree however, you should just get the right BS wheels and be done with it. Not only do they keep you from scrubbing during sharp turns, but you get a more stable, wider stance.

lancey3 said:
well for like 30 more you can have RE ones. not to bash rusty's products but you'd be stupid to say that his are better than RE.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=263&Pn=1953&XnPath=173,180,251,263&Vid=AA28DA3304152
$140 for the Rusty's vs. $209 (retail) for the RE....thats a bit more than a $30 gap there:dunno:...I know, I know, ya get what ya pay for. But keep this in mind, i'm a college kid on a extremely tight budget...so I have to really watch the money spent seeing as how I only get paid once a month for my job, and the majority of that check goes to the loan on the Jeep.

I've talked to fullsizeXJ before and he has got me some good quotes on RE items, might have to pester him with some more questions :D

I don't want to go to a different set of rims. I specifically got the Ecco's because they're, in my opinion, the best looking wheels on a XJ. Got a great deal on these and I plan to keep them.

Thanks for the input guys, still open to more suggestions/comments.

Put a couple of shims (flat washers) behind the nuts on your steering stop bolts to keep from hitting the stock arms, and buy the RE arms when you can - that way you will stop the rubbing and end up with a much better LCA. The tires will also hit the RE arms but being round tube it won't hurt your tires like the stock arms could and you could leave the shims as there is not a lot of turning radius lost with the shimming. Hope this makes sense.

Mike

XJ6 said:
Put a couple of shims (flat washers) behind the nuts on your steering stop bolts to keep from hitting the stock arms, and buy the RE arms when you can - that way you will stop the rubbing and end up with a much better LCA. The tires will also hit the RE arms but being round tube it won't hurt your tires like the stock arms could and you could leave the shims as there is not a lot of turning radius lost with the shimming. Hope this makes sense.

Mike

Yes it does, and I might end up throwing a couple of washers on there as a temp. solution to stop the rubbing. For now though, i've gotten used to how far I can turn the wheel before it sarts rubbing.

Rusty's adjustable Arms SUCK. Plain and Simple! I wouldn't even trust that he would cut fixed one's the same length :gee:

I couldn’t be happier with my Rusty's adj. LCA's. They are very beefy and I have never had a problem with clearance. I have them on my 5” home brew lift kit.

tyspier said:
Whats your deal with Rustys products?

Most EVERYONE has a deal with Rusty's stuff! IMHO I like his stuff! Got most of his stuff on my jeep with the exception of an RE product somwhere but overall I like his stuff! Extreme fast shipping for me!

Hey Tim,
The rustys ones are fine. A buddy of mine runs those and the UCA's front and rear on his GC and he tears the shit outta his jeep. Just because they dont say Rubicon Express on them doesnt mean they are crap :) But really go with the rustys ones.

I have Pro comp LCA's and wea ll know how everyone feel about Pro comp, and im bashed mine on rocks and the still are awesome and NEVER had a problem with em.

Haha, Junk :scared:, Have you actually looked at the design, the threads he uses, it's a joke.
I couldn't be any happier with putting mine on the chop saw(LA's)!!!!!!

4pvq23d.jpg

Ryan.
Your probably right, im not dissing anything. Im just saying if you dont HArdcore wheel your rig and you just play around and trail ride every once in a while, why fork out more money than needed?? use the extra money to buy some gas so that you can actually try em out.

Cherokeekid88 said:
Hey Tim,
The rustys ones are fine. A buddy of mine runs those and the UCA's front and rear on his GC and he tears the shit outta his jeep. Just because they dont say Rubicon Express on them doesnt mean they are crap :) But really go with the rustys ones.

I have Pro comp LCA's and wea ll know how everyone feel about Pro comp, and im bashed mine on rocks and the still are awesome and NEVER had a problem with em.

Cory,

Thanks for the input. On one hand, I've heard a lot against Rusty, and in my limited experience with him, he did mess me up a little bit on my exhaust. On the other, I don't wheel the piss out of mine, so i'd hate to spend a ton of money on something that's going to be overkill.....but then again RE makes a hell of a product from what i've heard/seen. Buddy of mine has an RE kit on his 97 and loves it.

PM me your number dude...i'll have to get up with you next time i'm up that way.

Yeah im not denying RE but if you go with RE, might as well go with JKS. Getting ready to buy some of there UCA's and JCR's 1 ton steering. Yeah dude, me and some buddies are hitting Uwharrie when it cools down abit.

It seems like the "search" Nazis are also the "bash Rusty's" Nazis. Must be the cool thing to do on NAXJA. I'm running Rusty's stuff all over my Jeep, and I've been very happy with it. No "hard core" (real hard core means something will break, no matter who built it...if not, you're not trying hard enough!) just some "normal" off road, east coast style.

Enough with the Rustys vs. RE!!!!

Yes, they will work. They are good LCAs. They aren't adjustable for when you go up in lift.

I had the ones like that without the bend for the tires. If they're going to rub, it's better to have them rub on a round piece of metal rather than the edge of a piece of sheet metal.

Back