• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need RHD XJ details

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I found out yesterday that there is a junkyard here that has a right hand drive 98 XJ. I'm already in the process of putting the dash and such out of a 97+ into my 1990 and was wondering if it might be worth the time to use the RHD dash. I've always liked the RHD units. Does anyone have any pics or know details of the firewall engine bay and what's on which side. Does the steering box and pitman arm and such change or do they somehow stay on that side and work through linkage? Also is the heater box on the reverse side on those? If anyone knows details or has pics that would be awesome. Let me know, what you know.
Thanks,
Collin

The entire steering is on the right side of the XJ as wel as a few other things that the driver has to use. I have seen a few of them in the Caribbean where I am from and alsoinn South America. Never did view them indetail. Look at Go-jeep's pics. His XJ is right hand. Where in Des Moines is it? This will be a good opportunity to compear the right hand to the left hand XJ.

There is a 96 RHD that was hit in the front at a salage yard that is just south of Centerville, IA. I know that the parts could be bought CHEAP! The ol' boy that runs the place usually just lets the person pull their own parts and name their own price as long as it is within reason. He also will swap out parts for labor on projects like help painting his house...he is a cool ol' cat.

here is a pic. its not really clear ..i'll try and get some better ones!!

54ja4o9.jpg

techno1154 said:
The entire steering is on the right side of the XJ as wel as a few other things that the driver has to use. I have seen a few of them in the Caribbean where I am from and alsoinn South America. Never did view them indetail. Look at Go-jeep's pics. His XJ is right hand. Where in Des Moines is it? This will be a good opportunity to compear the right hand to the left hand XJ.
It's actually in Oskaloosa Iowa which is about an hour from Des Moines. If I go to see it, I will be taking a ton of pictures.
XJ&TJ4ME said:
There is a 96 RHD that was hit in the front at a salage yard that is just south of Centerville, IA. I know that the parts could be bought CHEAP! The ol' boy that runs the place usually just lets the person pull their own parts and name their own price as long as it is within reason. He also will swap out parts for labor on projects like help painting his house...he is a cool ol' cat.
That's good to know, although I need the newer dash if I'm doing it. There is also a 96 RHD at a junkyard in Des Moines but I want the 97+ style. I wish there were more people that ran junkyards that were like that though, most of them are pricks.
nickPRO said:
here is a pic. its not really clear ..i'll try and get some better ones!!

54ja4o9.jpg
Thanks, that atleast gives me some idea.

Last edited:
If you want to do a RHD mod to your current XJ you should buy the complete wrecked RHD XJ. At the very least you will need the dash and steering column, all the steering linkages, the front axle, the complete under hood brake system, the gas and brake pedal assemblies. Plus you will need all sorts of the RHD mounting brackets, hoses, plus many other little bits and parts as well. Probably the underhood wire harness would be handy also.
LHD underhood pic.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
If you want to do a RHD mod to your current XJ you should buy the complete wrecked RHD XJ. At the very least you will need the dash and steering column, all the steering linkages, the front axle, the complete under hood brake system, the gas and brake pedal assemblies. Plus you will need all sorts of the RHD mounting brackets, hoses, plus many other little bits and parts as well. Probably the underhood wire harness would be handy also.
LHD underhood pic.
standard.jpg
I've decided I should probably just give up on this thought, I think I'd need the whole firewall. I figured out the blower motor and heater box stuff is on the other side, etc. It'd be a lot of work. I may go ask them how much they need for the whole thing, but I think it'd be too much. Thanks to all you guys for the help though.

Back