• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camperize the XJ?

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
First off I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but I figure it somewhat pertains to modifying my jeep.

I'm thinking of driving to Baja from B.C. this winter and if I decide to go ahead with the plan would like to build a sleeping platform that can be removed so the back area can still be useable. Ideally I'd like to be able to keep the back seat but create a platform behind (kind of a lock-box behind the rear seat..outta sight, outta mind), with a removable section that can go all the way to the front seats so I can throw a foamy in the back and sleep back there when I don't feel like tenting. That way I can keep the back for sleeping but keep some storage space as well. For a stove, some tools and a couple of other things.
Has anyone built something like that? Any photo's floating around? I couldn't find anything by searching, but someone must have done the same.

Clunk just not enough room for two to sleep comfortable in a xj plus you have to unload the car each nite either way its a pain buy youself a cot teny all you have to do is unfold them and lay down kinda like a roof tent on the ground , also be careful where you pull over to sleep down there and get yourself a machete and a camp axe, guns are illegal

jimgrms said:
Clunk just not enough room for two to sleep comfortable in a xj plus you have to unload the car each nite either way its a pain buy youself a cot teny all you have to do is unfold them and lay down kinda like a roof tent on the ground , also be careful where you pull over to sleep down there and get yourself a machete and a camp axe, guns are illegal
two is tough. if it's just you though there is a neat option that i got from the adventure forum.

i welded an eye to my a pillar on the passenger side and an eye to the drivers side c pillar (i suppose d pillar if you have a fourdoor) i flip the passenger seat all the way forward. and string the hammock between the two eyes. i'm 6'2" and it's pretty comfy by myself. i dont have to repack or move the stuff in the rear.

i have a four door parts xj that will become the camping trailer a la Kyro. am totally digging that.

Last edited:
x2 pretty tight quarters, I keep everything in an action packer box,and put it underneath my jeep,fold the seat down and use an inflateable matress,keep my sleeping stuff in a roof box

IMG_7535.JPG

IMG_7536.JPG

Thats Pretty Cool, glad to see I am not the only one running a Durango Bumper :).

clunk said:
It's only me, so I'm not worried about the space..
I like the hammock idea quite a bit. I'm going to do some more research, but thanks again for the ideas.

it's such a tiny mod. i did it on a lark after reading it. love it though.
it just occured to me after looking at a buddy's 4door. you cant flip the front seat down in a 4 door. that part is key to making it work for me. you might get away with just pulling the headrest.

if you camp you probably own a pocket hammock anyway. you can string it up there with tape to get an idea of how it'll hang before cutting or welding anything. i used two pieces of cut 5/16 pc chain i picked up off the floor of the TSC while buying bolts for something else. they didn't charge me for the scrap. ;-)

popped off the plastic trim pieces that were in the way. migged it with whatever wire was in the machine. used a rotozip to cut the slots out of the plastic trim and put them back on. futzed with cordage and snaps to get it the right length. less than two hours including the futzing.

cumorglas said:
i welded an eye to my a pillar on the passenger side and an eye to the drivers side c pillar (i suppose d pillar if you have a fourdoor) i flip the passenger seat all the way forward. and string the hammock between the two eyes. i'm 6'2" and it's pretty comfy by myself. i dont have to repack or move the stuff in the rear.
That is the most ingenious idea I have read in a long time. Thanks!

Handlebars said:
That is the most ingenious idea I have read in a long time. Thanks!

Wasn't my idea. we have a whole sub forum for adventure stuff. someone posted it there. i don't remember who exactly. but lots of good ideas there.

Back