• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dream XJ

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put about 10k in my cherokee. im looking for a dana 44 front and a ford 8.8 rear. i want to get air lockers front and rear. 4.10 ?4.11 gears? im gonna be getting some allied beadlocks with 35" baja widetrack M/T. i need a SYE and driveshaft. looking to get the tnt customs y-ling long arm. right now my jeep has a 4.5" rough country with 35"s stock everything. so im tired of it i want to go big and now i have the money. so tell me anyone have sugestions. what would you buy etc.???

First, get at least 4.56s, although I would say 4.88s. If you want to lift big, then go for it, but I would also say to try adn keep the lift as little as possible, I know the type of wheeling I do is primarily trials, I dont know what you do, but keeping the center of gravity low is key. I plan on up grading to 35s and going no more than 4.5'-5" of lift total, which in my opinion is the best setup, if it is trimmed properly.

Otherwise, Winch bumper, winch, rear bumper w/ tire carrier, whatever lighting you feel you need, rear disk brakes if you plan on keeping it on the street.

Then just go all out and get a stroker, tranny (I am not sure what most people use) and an atlas II transfer case, and that would quite possibly be one of the nicest rigs around if its done right, the only problem is that the stroker will run ya 1500+ most likely, atlast II is another 2500 I want to say, and whatever the tranny costs... but still... sooooo awesome :D

well i got the 4.5" lift now running 35"s no problem but i was thing of turning the long arms up to about 6.5" of lift so i get some good flex. and i plan on having it an offroad only type vehicle so i want to go all out. probley gonna go out and get a welder today.. i want a exo cage. cut the rear half off my jeep took carpet out and headliner and only have 2 front seats in it. 4 dr pickup

This is how I'd do it with the axles you suggested: Ford HP44 narrowed to run Wagoneer shafts up front, with high-steer, Explorer 8.8 with discs in the back, with wheel spacers to convert the bolt pattern to 5x5.5" and match the width of the front axle. 5.13 gears for sure (maybe deeper if it's trail-only), since you'll have axles that can run them. Full Detroits front and rear, with upgraded shafts. No more than 5-6" of lift. Front winch bumper, rear bumper, skid plates for everything, roll cage, new seats, and a five-point harness.

Good axle selection. 4.88's, ARB/Detroit, 5150's, armor it and keep it low. 4:1 or an Atlas, OBA.. C-rok steering brace, cross over steering, and cage it.

no ill stick with my xj i want to have fun. its only money. haha

I really hesitate to respond here.

The 8.8 and D44 aren't really that stout. To beef them up you'll spend enough to get something better. If you're upgrading, Do a real upgrade. Maybe run 9 inchers front and rear or something. Combine those with an Atlas and you've got something you can run 37's on very comfortably.

I know you didn't say you wanted 37's but you will.(5.13 for gears at least)

My .02. I have 35's and 4.56's and Dream daily of 5.38's

passxj said:
I really hesitate to respond here.

The 8.8 and D44 aren't really that stout. To beef them up you'll spend enough to get something better. If you're upgrading, Do a real upgrade. Maybe run 9 inchers front and rear or something. Combine those with an Atlas and you've got something you can run 37's on very comfortably.

I know you didn't say you wanted 37's but you will.(5.13 for gears at least)

My .02. I have 35's and 4.56's and Dream daily of 5.38's
I agree with PassXJ. I have 35's and 4.56's and :bawl: hate it. You are on the right track. Do all your research before ya start. :read:

yes thats what im trying to do is find out what is best before i go and buy it and put it on. im gonna be doing ALL of the work so its gonna be built not bought. thank god for NAXJA or i would be lost about a year back still trying to work on my TPS.. ha ha. thanks guys for all your iunput.

If its going to be trail only go 5.13's.

muddshutter said:
10K is a lot to invest. I'd suggest a Wrangler with a FRAME under it and build that up.

:rolleyes: lastara

I'll have a waggy d44 and 8.8 under my XJ within 6 months hopefully and I will be sticking to 35s and I am going 5.13s.

I ran 33s awhile now 35s with 4.56s and I noticed some power loss. I could burn my 32" 33x12.50 X-Terrains, then got 33" TRXus MTs and it still had pep, but now with 35" MT/Rs it feels like it did stock with 28s on it and 3.55s. So now I say screw it 5.13s it is.

Along with what others suggested a full rollcage and harnesses. Helmets would also be wise when wheeling.

Back