• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny temp gauge

99chero

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering if the tranny hav any stock provisions for a tranny temp gauge and if not, where is the best place for it, put it inline in a tranny cooler??
THanks
Jhery

Unfortunately there aren't any stock provisions for one.

I mounted mine using an in-line "T" fitting on the line from the tranny to the cooler (near the tranny). This way it reads the temp of the fluid before it gets cooled, for a more accurate reading.

I found a pic of the fitting (before Teflon tape...don't forget to use plenty of that). Unfortunately I don't have it in there now to get an installed pic, the gauge broke and I haven't replaced it yet.
DSCF0001.jpg

Parts can be found at about any hardware store.

if you goto summit, and then to the b&m tranny temp guage page, theres a pdf directions.

from the article:

´locate the oil return line from the transmission....
this is the lower oil line to the transmission case. cut the steel tube with a tubing cutter or hacksaw. carefully debur, select proper size t-fitting and install.... ´

you MAY be able to get the pdf here....

http://store.summitracing.com/instructions.asp?File=bmm-80212.pdf

I put in a t-fitting and it leaked no matter what I did, or how much tape I used. I replaced it with a filter assembly tapped for a temp sender. No leaks, tranny fluid is now filtered, and I can keep an eye on the temp.

DaffyXJ said:
I put in a t-fitting and it leaked no matter what I did, or how much tape I used. I replaced it with a filter assembly tapped for a temp sender. No leaks, tranny fluid is now filtered, and I can keep an eye on the temp.

Interesting, is the filter assy. made for trans fluid? I know tranny fluid filters are fairly porous, I was just wondering any side effects to adding a 2nd filter with the additional restriction it would cause. Do you have any links or pics?

I did have some problems with the T fitting leaking as well, but was able to fix it. You just have to be real careful with the brass fittings, and be liberal with the tape. They can't be too loose, or too tight because they strip easily. Just one messed up thread and they can leak!

I had an aluminuim block machined with fins in it and mounted it on the outgoing fluid line coming out of the trannying before being cooled. I got my temp sensor mounted on a gauge pod on the a pillar. The whole setup is pretty slick and definetly helps me keep the trannying in check. I will try to get a few pictures of it for you.

Back