• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Central mounted winch

morganxj

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone considered trying to centrally mount a winch in the cargo area of their XJ? Similar to what Foers did with the IBEX trucks. I had one in my discovery(I'm a long time Rover fan, so don't flame me!) but I digress. IMHO, this is probably the best way to have a front and rear winch all in one.
It's been to hot lately to investigate my undercarriage in great detail, but I'm sure it could be done.
Any thoughts???
C.J.

If its in the cargo area, how do you use it in front of the jeep? The windshield, dash, firewall, motor and radiator would be in the way.

If its underneath, what happens if you have to pull at an angle, won't the suspension, axles, motor get in the way?

The best way to get front and rear winches, is to use a multi mount and have recievers front and rear

winch_inside.jpg

winch_fairlead.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69313&highlight=different+cage

not mine but i think this is what you want

yes,
i have put some thought and time into it. it would really have to be done with synthetic and would require slightly more blocks and structural reinforcement. the ibex was built around that winching system. xj definitely was not. not enough clean straight shots from one end to the other.

i would put an 8274 where the rearDS passenger would sit. run it straight back along the pseudo framerail to the rear turning/snatch block.back along the same rout to about the lca mounts. from there use a highload exit block to feed it into a carefully bent piece of around 1.75 dom(for the smooth inner wall more than strength) to the fairlead in the substantially mounted bumper with fairlead in the ds right next to the mount.

not impossible but not the project for me.

Just put a winch in the front. You really don't need one in the rear, or the ability to move it to the rear. If you need to use the winch in the rear (which is VERY rare) just turn your vehicle around.

Blaine B. said:
Just put a winch in the front. You really don't need one in the rear, or the ability to move it to the rear. If you need to use the winch in the rear (which is VERY rare) just turn your vehicle around.
It seems that you are missing the point here. i suggest that you briefly google "red ibex" and get some learning on.

the times i have needed to winch from the rear, turning around wasn't an option. if i could have turned around i wouldn't have needed to winch at all. a rear winch is also very nice to have when you are using a small logging arch and your jeep as a mini skidder.

receiver mounted winches are a hassle and even with synthetic line heavy to be lugging around. foers vector style winching would give all of those advantages. i.e front OR rear pull, winch out of constant salt spray four months a year, only one winch to buy, etc, AND add the option of cablecar mode.

o4petesake said:
watch out for amputation of the passenger's legs??? OUCH!

while i wouldn't recommend sitting in zebaru's passenger seat, it's worth noting that he is running yale crystalyne.
i think it might be a bit of overkill but it certainly won't have trouble with winch temps, and there is no drama when it breaks. it just falls to the ground. i use to work in a rigging shop where we had a 30,000 lb test bed to break stuff with. spectra, technora, kevlar, pbo, and liquid crystal lines are really boring when they break. you want to see fun, tear apart 1" diameter three strand nylon. that stuff makes watching steel look boring.

Blaine B. said:

i used to follow this same thought process, until I started wheeling alone more often.....while I have never needed a rear mounted winch yet, I definitley can see the possible need where it could come in very handy.

IntrepidXJ said:
i used to follow this same thought process, until I started wheeling alone more often.....while I have never needed a rear mounted winch yet, I definitley can see the possible need where it could come in very handy.

Bring extension and extra snatch blocks. :D

You can quite easily winch backwards with a front mounted winch. Just run the rope under the axles and winch away. The only upside to a multimount that makes sense to me is for dders so they can stick the winch in the garage easily.

ECKSJAY said:
Bring extension and extra snatch blocks. :D

this is the option i chose. not as sexy. but functional. would still like the winch out of the salt in the wintertime though.

98stocker said:
You can quite easily winch backwards with a front mounted winch. Just run the rope under the axles and winch away. The only upside to a multimount that makes sense to me is for dders so they can stick the winch in the garage easily.

ya this works if you like various parts of your steering bent up .not to mention you run the risk of rolling the vehicle in some situations doing this.i had a multi mount and for wheeling alone nothing beats having the option of going both ways if needed.just because most of you see no point to having the ability to winch both ways doesn't mean its not needed for others.

i saw the winch setup this person is talking about a long time ago and it was rather nice.i wouldn't want to try it on an Xj with out a stiffened frame and interior cage to tie it all to though.

oh and as for "Red Ibex" ya that site no long exists

morganxj said:
Has anyone considered trying to centrally mount a winch in the cargo area of their XJ? Similar to what Foers did with the IBEX trucks. I had one in my discovery(I'm a long time Rover fan, so don't flame me!) but I digress. IMHO, this is probably the best way to have a front and rear winch all in one.
It's been to hot lately to investigate my undercarriage in great detail, but I'm sure it could be done.
Any thoughts???
C.J.

Post up some pics of this Ibex truck... I wanna see the winch set-up we're talkin about.

pretty cool i suppose! The cable would get bound up on the pulleys if it were mine! Just my luck... I'd spend more time untangling it than anything.

Well like I said in my original thread, I won't be winching with a passenger (I rarely even have one), but with synth I woul be more worried about them getting caught on the drum...

I really looked for a way to get the line out the back as well, but couldn't come up with a reasonable solution.

My passenger seat winch may still turn out to be a bad idea. I will let everyone know how it fares after a couple of hard pulls...

Back