• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper weight?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about building a sheet metal front bumper for my XJ. I've drawn it out and figured up the weight of this thing using 3/16" for the face, and 1/8" for the top and bottom plates. I've come up with about 40 lbs for this thing including the mounts/steering brace plates and tow points (1/8" and 3/4" respectivly) Is this about an average weight for a sheet metal front bumper or am I light or heavy on my build? This is non-wench, w/o brush guards or boner bar and no reciever. Kinda plain looking thing.

Well, 1/8" and 3/16" isn't exactly "sheet metal"....that one confused me at first glance!

It sounds like your making good mounts if your doing a steering box brace too. I'd say your at about the right weight for a real basic bumper, but to really be able to tell....WE NEED PICS, or at least a drawing :)

Yep, mine's a little bit more complicated and it's probably 60-70 lbs. I don't think my front end sags at all, either that or I've gotten used to it after 6 years.

Back