• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans shifting

Aquit45

NAXJA Forum User
The last 8 months or so i have been having a problem with my trans shifting.
AW4 After i start it and put it in gear it wont shift out of first until it hits 4k rpms, what i usally do is let my foot of the gas and put it back on and it will shift it will do that once or twice then it will shift perfect. Once i get to work and when it cools down it will do it again. Now I have replaced the tps and just today the speed sensor with no change. I clueless to what is going on. Any help would be greatful

1991 Cherokee Limited

Does it shift manualy if you disco the TCU?

Also check, clean, and repair as needed the TPS, Engine and firewall GROUND connections. I don't thing the 91 and later models have an adjustable TPS that needs, or even can be calibrated. I think it is just 87-90 Renix models that need calibration.

If that fails, pull the TCU and check the ground wire on it, and ohm the solenoids from there. Might also check the wires to the Tranny, near the tranny to see if they got damaged contacting the exhaust, or road hazards.

westerboner said:
did you adjust the tps when you installed it

Back