• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air- vent only works on high?

bb_xjer

NAXJA Forum User
My '97 Cherokee just quit blowing air from the vents on 1,2,3 fan speed but blows fine on the highest level (4)? What could the problem be?

I have it on dash vents at the moment, and i don't use A.C ever.

blower resistor, or a wire somewhere else. When the blower is on high i *think* that it completely bypasses the resistor pack. so power to the resistor? or the resistor is self?
did it just suddenly quit working? or did certain speeds stop working one at a time?

it's more than likely the blower motor reistor. the only problem is, it's usually caused by the motor. it will still run, but pulls too many amps and burns out the resistor. when you change the resistor make sure it comes with a warranty. if the motor burns it out twice then you don't have to buy the resistor twice.

Just replaced this on my dads wrangler. It is the resistor, and its around a 30-40 dollar part, and it takes about 5 minutes to switch in.

I dont know if there is a difference between a 97 and my 95, but mine had the same symptoms as yours, only worked on high, it was a $1.43 thermal fuse, got one from Radio Shack, soldered it in, all fan speeds work now. I would research a little more before shelling out $30 or $40 for a part you dont need.

Back