• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current 5.5-6.5 Lift Kit suggestions

xjjeepcjs

NAXJA Forum User
This question will bring up alot of debate, but I need help deciding on a lift. I have a 2000 XJ, automatic, 31's, with a 3" rough country lift. The rear springs are sagging, but I have 120,000 miles on the rig, so they've done there time. I only get offraod about four to five times a year and I like to push it crawling, but I don't really abuse it, yet. I am ready to lift to 5.5 to 6.5 inches and run 33's without triming for now. What lift would you all suggest, and why is it good.

If you have negative responses to a lift you used, please explain how hard you push your rig. Would your kit have been better for someone only interested in slow crawling with a little bump action from time to time.

Please respond, I am ready to purchase soon. Also, add any info on what extra parts you had to buy to get your rig rolling. SYE, brake lines, etc....

well i have a 2" teraflex coil spacer/drop shackle kit on my jeep now and im gonna purchase a rustys off-road 4.5" kit but with 6.5" control arms so i can just add it to my 2" teraflex set up and then im gonna save for tires/driveshaft stuff, seems cheap to if rustys will swap those parts for bigger ill only pay 670 for it

Rubicon Express is one. Quality products, great customer service, tried and true.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2025&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=23F6683274254

TnT Customs. High clearence, big belly pan, and beefyness.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/xjylinksystem.asp

Clayton Offroad is another. Beef. Heavy duty stuff. Lifetime warranty against breakage.

http://claytonoffroad.com/index.aspx?sdr=/get.doc.aspx&qs=LD:parts%20List&l=make!model!modelEx&p=Jeep!Cherokee!XJ

BDS.. True 4 link long arm front, and a No Fine Print warranty on all parts. Top notch customer service.

http://bds-suspension.com/kits/455H

If you are going to go that high, do long arms. There are other companies, search around and see what they have to offer.

Last edited:
Full Traction also makes a 6" long arm kit comparable to the BDS one.

Rock Krawler makes a 3-link system too.....

Most will say that radius arms (TNT, Clayton) are best for rock crawling....and 4 links are best for pre-running type stuff...IIRC...

You will most definitely need an SYE if you dont already have one...longer brake lines for sure (most of these kits come with longer brake lines)

Would highly recommend staying AWAY from rusty's products.....

another option is to piece together a lift....such as, getting 5" trailgunner coils and leafs from DPG offroad, an ACOS for the front and a 1.5" shackle for the rear...then doing the Y-link upgrade from TNT customs. I would go that route rather than their full package, just because TNT uses RE springs, I think....

Also, i'm guessing you have 3.55 gears, you might want to look at regearing up to 4.56s....

Or 4.88s cuz you'll be at 35s in another year or so.

ah, but he'll need a new rear axle for that anyway.....and a HD steering setup.....and lots of fender trimming....

Not if he has a 8.25 29 spl.

Depends who you talk to....haha...

I'd do it with the 8.25, but some people swear you have to have an 8.8 to run 35s.....

depends on how and where he wheels too.

I have the 8.25. Guys I will never do true hard core offroading with this until I have a second Daily driver. Heres a pic. I am planning the regear already, lockers and 4.56 all around. I have a member of our local club that does the 8.8 swaps in his custom shop. It is relatively cheap, and will give me more locker options.
DSC06568t.jpg

DSCN0044t.jpg

Why do people dislike Rusty's products? Long arm kits are what I have been looking at, but the expense puts them down the road a bit. I do rock crawling in Kansas an the surrounding areas, and I hope to hit Moab this easter if you all can get me to decide on a lift.. I am ready to make the next step, and this rig is an on going project so one day it will not be a DD. Then I will wheel it harder...

Thanks for all the info so far to thase that posted...

Last edited:
JEEP stands for J ust E mpty E very P ocket. No place is that more true than when adding a lift. I went with the Rubicon Express 5.5 lift kit due the recommendations of the local off road shop. They sell other brands as well but said RE was the best for the money. When you add 5.5 inches of lift you will need an SYE and a new drive shaft for the rear. You can buy the kit that comes with new rear springs. I would recommend this over the add-a-leaf, if you think that your springs are sagging. You will also have to have longer shocks which don’t come with the kit. While you are at it you might as well replace the front stabilizer as well. You will also have to have the front end aligned once you get everything installed. Expect to run into unexpected problems. I had to have the rear leafs cut off with a torch, because the bolts were too rusted to get off any other way. You might get the dreaded DW or Bump Steer. Don’t forget that all of this doesn’t do much good if you don’t get bigger tires which also means that you will probably have to have new rims for all 5 tires (spare) as well. The bigger tires are harder to turn so you will want to get new gears, lockers ect. It never ends.

Don't overlook the RE drop bracket kit.

Longarms are not your only option.

is there any reason you dont want to trim?

you said you want to run 33's, I ran the re 3.5 and trimmed and easily cleared 33's. you said it will be a project one day and not a DD so why not trim?

a guy in my club runs 35's on the RE4.5 with TNT ylink upgrade. He is trimmed but his body isnt a hack job, its very professionally trimmed.

you should consider trimming and running less lift. 4.5 is enough lift to run 35s imo. Keep your COG low.

with the amount of lift you are talking about, you will need a SYE, extended brake lines, adj trac bar, and disconnects.

93 xj, That does look good. I have been tossing around the idea of trimming and getting a 4.5 lift, but I am not yet ready to make a decision. Thats why I wanted everyones opinion and ideas so that I can make a better decision on how I want to proceed. Thanks again for the info.

Back