• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf slider

tdr1213

NAXJA Forum User
Leaf spring slider

Anyone ever experimented with a leaf spring slider............replacing the shackle.

Pros? Cons?

Re: Leaf spring slider

not sure about a leaf spring slider but have you looked under the new grandcherokees the have a built in slider for the rear of the body

I dont think he's talking about a skid. It's kind of a track that replaces the shackle. It mounts the rear eye of the leaf spring, and lets it slide fore n aft, rather than swing from the shackle.

My personal opinion is that most of the gimicky things like this are better in theory than in practice... But I have no experience with the sliders whatsoever...

Robert

This surprises me. Leaf sliders are very popular in racing, much better for the leaf (maintains consistent spring rate). Instead of a shackle arcing during compression and unloading, the spring end slides back and forth in a slot on a bearing to accommodate for compression and extension.

I know most people use the shackle to increase lift............but I'm looking for performance and think a slider would great. What do you think?

scottmcneal said:
would this be a wink link when rock crawling?

not at all. The first one I saw was on a totally tubed out custom rock crawler. This rig is bad on bad and climbs like a billy goat. That's why I'm asking the question here.

Robert 771 said:
I dont think he's talking about a skid. It's kind of a track that replaces the shackle. It mounts the rear eye of the leaf spring, and lets it slide fore n aft, rather than swing from the shackle.

My personal opinion is that most of the gimicky things like this are better in theory than in practice... But I have no experience with the sliders whatsoever...

Robert

It's not a gimmick. They are a popular suspension component in racing and preferred over shackles. I'm just wondering about their application to trail rigs.

but we do have a frame... it is just a uniframe,which makes it a frame. I don't get why people always put frame in ' ' when they are talking about it. It is still a frame the last time I checked.

scottmcneal said:
ok, but we don't have a frame, so it would be bad.... my 2 cents

Not sure what the frame has to do with it. Fabricating a mounting fixture wouldn't be difficult. And one could make it shimmable for fine tuning.

tdr1213 said:
How would they limit travel? I read that tech article and no where did it indicate spring travel would be limited. It's simple a different way to accommodate spring travel.

The travel is limited because now you only can move within the spring rate.

The shackle allows the rear of the spring to move from a point level with the frame at the back (flat spring), to a point below and in front of the rear pivot point (spring in droop).
That last bit is what gives you the suspension travel you limit with the slider. If you doubt, I recomend drawing it.

A good on-road performance mod, but will make the ride stiff. Bad Off-Road performance.

Last edited:
but we do have a frame... it is just a uniframe,which makes it a frame. I don't get why people always put frame in ' ' when they are talking about it. It is still a frame the last time I checked.

glad i know now, thank you..

how much stress would that out on the uniframe or the weld? i think that with it sliding back an forth it would weaken the frame.. PS i'm not a frame man.. That is why i ask ?s

Zuki-Ron said:
The travel is limited because now you only can move within the spring rate.

The shackle allows the rear of the spring to move from a point level with the frame at the back (flat spring), to a point below and in front of the rear pivot point (spring in droop).
That last bit is what gives you the suspension travel you limit with the slider. If you doubt, I recomend drawing it.

A good on-road performance mod, but will make the ride stiff. Bad Off-Road performance.

Thanks....I understand what your saying. But when I draw it out, it appears the loss of travel is minimal and possibly nonexistent with the proper length on the slot. Think of where your shackle eyebolt is at full droop, and then where it is at full compression. If a slider was made and installed to those parameters, it seems the springs would move from full compression to full droop much easier....not having to arch to get there.

i wouldn't call a uniframe a "frame". a TJ has a frame. a sliverado, F150, Ram truck has a frame. something that can actually talk back to a rock quite a bit before giving up. something that has a much much better chance of surviving an accident. like getting T-boned by a suburban, and getting the front axle ripped off by a toyota and never once tweaking the frame (both happened to my wifes jeep and it's still straight).

a unibody just has a channel for added strenght and rigidity, and noway compares to a frame. but that's my opinion. personally if they offered a XJ with an actuall frame instead of unibody, that would be worth me paying extra for it. this past weekend and even before that, i did some slight rock crawling and have crumbled alot of my uniframe. in my opinion, XJ's are very good disposable 4x4's. wheel em till they snap, then transfer everything to the next one and wheel it till it snaps.

scottmcneal said:

how much stress would that out on the uniframe or the weld? i think that with it sliding back an forth it would weaken the frame.. PS i'm not a frame man.. That is why i ask ?s

A slider would actually be less stressful on the frame. As a shackle arcs, the forces increase and then decrease again. Often people have their shackles installed incorrectly (with the angle greater than 90 degrees at normal ride height) and also at full compression a shackle often slams into the box frame, thus limiting travel. A slider wouldn't do this.

scottmcneal said:

lol, sorry man. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a dick. Just spouting off, ignore me! :D

At first I thought he was talking about those little wheels that some rockcrawlers put on either side of the lower shackles to help them ride over rocks....

Back