• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mods for alaska

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm in england at the moment, next spring I may be headed to anchorage for 3-4 years or longer.

Just wondering what mods you'd make for that terrain.

So far I've got a 01 XJ with a 5.5 re short arm lift. Alloy wheels with 33 MTR's, 8.8 rear w/lsd, HP D30 front with a lockrite, custom front and rear bumpers, rear has tire carrier and 2 jerry cans.

I'm looking at, front winch, 4.88 gears, 35" boggers, arb's front and rear, block heater, anything else??

Whats the best tire choice? I know MTR's are a great all around tire but not the best in mud which I'm figuring theres alot of up there.

Looking at selectable lockers due to the snow/ice.

Also any of you guys that are up there, whats the best and worst part of it??

Thanks

not sure about tires and such, but when I was up there most of the autos had block heaters, something to consider.

definately get rid of the MTR's and the front locker.............neither are fun in the snow. Get a good set of narrow AT's or real snow tires and 2 pairs of RUD Tire Chains, a proper snow shovel (digging with a spade in the snow just sucks), a peak stove and sleeping kit for when you'll need em and the stove helps thaw out frozen parts of the rig (nothing like stoping for a few minutes and having your steering freeze up, and your tires turning into blocks of ice ( four pieces of plywood to put under your tires anytime ya stop), even though XJ's run hot save an old beer case to cover your grill with, vodka or other hard stuff cuz the beer will freeze..................hell my rig looks like a gypsy caravan during the winter time its got so much stuff in it

definately don't get rid of the locker. Or the mt's, get yourself a set of snow tires and be easy on the gas in turns, at's are terrible in deep snow. I know I'm in alaska right now. And the mud bogs and hill climbs up here will really make use of your locker, the short arm should be just fine since the rocks up here aren't that crazy. If you really wanna ask some experts go to www.alaska4x4network.com.

oh by the way the winters in anchorage are long but wisconsin gets colder, summer is about 5 months long spring and fall both about a month long and the rest is of course winter. The wheeling up here is unbeatable so are the groups of guys to wheel with, if you on elmendorf you can go right next door to ft. richardson for some awesome tank trails they let you wheel on.

From what I have read about trips through Canada and Alaska.

Get Spare parts. Unless you spend all of your time in town, it can get sparce.

xxxpedition.com

keep the rig the way it is man the only thing i would due is get a set of tsl's for the trail mtrs are alright but the mud up here is nasty .as for winter if your lockers are slectable then your fine. i have driven my xj up here for three winters now with no problems what so ever on 34"ltb just need to ajust the way you drive isthe biggest deal. as for the trails it really depends on the driver ..try what you got and if you dont like it then swap stuff out ..

Last edited:
Having lived in Anchorage for six years with two 4X4s, I was under the mispreseption that I could go lots of places. AK has one highway and few back roads. If you hunt you need a ATV, jet boat or an airplane (your XJ is fine stock or slightly modified in the snow or to pull your ATV or boat). If you are on the highway in snow, you need studded tires, not too wide and front-wheel or four-wheel drive. Wait until you get there and see that everybody drives Subrus and full-size 4X4s.

There are lots of places to go, you just gotta look and talk to people who have been there. As far as needing studded tires, I haven't used them yet and I've been fine. Just don't drive like a douche

Back