• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Locking Differential Options-Detroit E-Z Locker

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to narrow the field of locking front differentials for my 1989 XJ D30. The goal is to obtain 4.10 gears and lose the vacuum disconnect.

One option that caught my attention quickly is the Eaton Detroit E-Z Locker as it is far less costly than most. Has anyone here used one? I would like to hear about your experience with it.

Other notable differentials? However, bear in mind I am only going to be using my XJ for mild off-roading such as trails, etc. No rock climbing of any kind.

Thanks,

Rick

X2319823719283 on the Aussie.

I do like my Aussie. However, I've never had any issues out of my LockRight either. Aussie in the rear, LockRight in the D30.

Hale

They are all basically the same thing. I have a quick lok up front and it works great. I've wheeled on an EZlocker in an old YJ I had and beat the piss out of it, it never complained.

All,

Thanks for your input. It's clear most of the responses work well for the NP231. The cost of the Aussie is quit impressive.

The difficulty is that at this time I'm preparing to work with the NP242 as I would like the additional safety offered by its ability to work in Full-Time 4WD mode. None of these products will work with the NP242.

Do you have recommendations for differentials that work with the NP242?

Thanks,

Rick

I'm going to have an aussie in the rear and a front tru trac. I also have the np242 and if I remember this post in a month I'll let ya know how well I like the combo offroad.

RAVC1 said:
All,

Thanks for your input. It's clear most of the responses work well for the NP231. The cost of the Aussie is quit impressive.

The difficulty is that at this time I'm preparing to work with the NP242 as I would like the additional safety offered by its ability to work in Full-Time 4WD mode. None of these products will work with the NP242.

Do you have recommendations for differentials that work with the NP242?

Thanks,

Rick

I have a 242. I have no problems at all. Just use you head and don't drive stupid and you'll be fine. With the Aussie in the rear, I can go most everywhere I need to in 2wd. I would not recommend using FT 4x4 on pavement of anykind, any road for that matter. Like I said, I have no issues at all.
If you want to keep the ability to use FT 4x4, you have no option other than a selectable locker.(ARB, OX, ect.)
Hale

Aussie for sure, you might want to keep the disconnect and istall a manual cable on it so that way you can select when you want the locker working. It will help when you want to turn around on a trail. you can upgrade to the 95 wrangler outers so you get the bigger U-joints and your good to go, or you can always put an $ARB$ locker in it

Yall folks that are putting Aussie's in the rear must have D35 axles. last time I was on their site they havent got one for the 8.25 yet.. unles they have one and not telling me.

derrickdrew17 said:
Yall folks that are putting Aussie's in the rear must have D35 axles. last time I was on their site they havent got one for the 8.25 yet.. unles they have one and not telling me.
No Aussie for the 8.25. However they have been saying for the past 3 years or so that they are working on it.:dunno: I wouldn't waste the time or money to lock a D35 either.

Hale

All,

While I do not yet have a thorough understanding of why I need a selectable locker (like Ox, ARB, etc.) with a 242 when in FT4WD I may have another option I wanted to ask about.

I just picked up a used 4.10 R&P gear set and now need a carrier. A local 4wheeler offered me a used WJ carrier that he stated to be a clutch style LSD. Are any of you familiar with this differential? Do you think this would be a good option for my drivetrain (4.0L, AX-15, D30/D35 w/4.10s, 32" or 33" tires.).

Rick

Well, you can't use FT4WD with an auto locker, because this type of locker depends on drive shaft pressure to lock. When in FT mode, there are varying pressures on the shafts depending where the Tcase applies the most force (it had a diff in it, so it spreads the load between front and rear). This can cause some unwanted locking and unlocking of the diff.

With an ARB or OX, the diff is open until you lock it, so it will behave like stock when open in FT mode.

As long as you don't use FT mode (why would you need to?), you'll be fine.

As far as an LSD being good for you, it all depends on what you plan to use the Jeep for. DDing with an occasional trail ride, maybe. But if you plan to actually wheel it, get a locker.

And you really shouldn't go over 31s with that D35.

I just installed a truetrac in the front of mine 98 xj and a tracloc in the rear. I changed the gearing to 4:10s and I am loving it. I was warned that front might lock up when turning, however it has given me no problems. I have taken a couple of short off road trips near my home and noticed the difference. I have 31 inch tires and the gearing has increased the gas mileage to 17 in town and 20 on the highway. I only wish that I would have done this sooner. Good luck.

Back