• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless entry remote programming

99XJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj and when i bought it used it had the keyless entry remotes and the guy said they just had to be reprogrammed. Im guessing there is a certain sequence that must be done to reprogram them. does anyone have any idea how to reprogram them. thanks alot

My key programming book says that on 97-03 it has to be programmed using diagnostic equipment. It doesnt really tell me what the procedure is on it though. Thats about all I can help with. Hope it points you in the right direction

they plug the drb scantool into the jeep and program the vehicle to recognize the new remote(s). unfortunately, you have to have it done at the dealer. unless you can find a locksmith that has the proper equipment to program the sentry keys, they should be able to do remotes as well.

A Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Programming Procedures Card (Publication No. 81-170-00011) is being provided with this Technical Service Bulletin to simplify RKE transmitter programming on 1999 - 2002 North American vehicles. Additional copies of the RKE publication, 81-170-00011 (Fig. 1), can be ordered from DDS Distribution Services, LTD. Their number is 1-300-890-4038.[SIZE=+1]Program Method C (Dealer Program Method) *Can be used for any type transmitter.[/SIZE]
1. Press [LOCK] button 5 times at 2 second intervals to resynchronize transmitter. Attempt to function transmitter, if Working as designed discontinue programming.
2. Turn ignition to the run position (Allow ignition chimes to stop).
3. Plug DRBIII to vehicle's 16-way data link connector.
4. Follow Service Manual and DRBIII Instructions to program transmitters.

More info can be found with this source link

[SIZE=+1]Models:[/SIZE] 1999 - 2002 (BR/BE, DR) Ram Truck
1999 - 2002 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon
1999 - 2002 (AN) Dakota
1999 - 2002 (BR/BE)Ram Pickup
1999 - 2009 (DN) Durango
2002 (DR) Ram Pickup
2001 - 2002 (JR) Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan/Sebring Convertible
2002 (KJ) Liberty
1999 - 2002 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/LHS1300M
1999 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1999 - 2002 (PL) Neon
1999 - 2002 (PR) Prowler
2001 - 2002 (PT) PT Cruiser
2001 - 2002 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1999 - 2002 (WJ) Grand Cherokee
1999 - 2001 (XJ) Cherokee = Type "C"

Update from my previous post... So I had the dealer program the new fob for my 00 XJ. When I got home, I parked next to my 04 WJ. I came out a bit later to drive the WJ, and when I hit unlock on the WJ fob, both jeeps unlocked. So the WJ fob now works on both jeeps, but the new XJ fob only works on the XJ... Weird.

intuitionx2 said:
3. Plug DRBIII to vehicle's 16-way data link connector.
That's great if you happen to have a $2000 DRBIII tool laying around.
If your not that lucky, you'll have to go to the dealer and have them do it for you.

JEEPZZ said:
That's great if you happen to have a $2000 DRBIII tool laying around.
If your not that lucky, you'll have to go to the dealer and have them do it for you.

Need "RKE publication, 81-170-00011" You can get $100 units that hook up to a laptop. I dont know if you can program it this way though. I was just posting that you cant do a "trick" Wish you could though. I only have 1 remote :(

You can pick up remotes on ebay for $10. You can have up to 4 remotes tied to the jeep. I suggest that you purchase as many as you need, and bring them all to the dealer. It is wise to have all remotes present, as you run the risk of screwing up one of the spares when you add a remote. If you find an offroad frienly dealer, or one tied to a local 4x4 club, they may do it for free.

nsgrillo said:
Update from my previous post... So I had the dealer program the new fob for my 00 XJ. When I got home, I parked next to my 04 WJ. I came out a bit later to drive the WJ, and when I hit unlock on the WJ fob, both jeeps unlocked. So the WJ fob now works on both jeeps, but the new XJ fob only works on the XJ... Weird.

I know this has been answered but which remote will work on a 93 XJ? I don't have the Overhead console with the Keyless chip in it yet but when I get it it will have the keyless chip from a 93-96 XJ. Will the round remotes work with a 93-96 XJ, i Guess is my main question.

Back